Author Topic: John Dwyer and Mary Kearnan - COMPLETED  (Read 3845 times)

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dwyer and Mary Kearnan - COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 08 January 13 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am looking for details of John Dwyer (Abt.1846-1911) from Coorleagh Townlands, Shankill (Paulstown) Parish, Gowran Barony, County Kilkenny, Ireland. He married Mary Kearnan (1826-1946) in 1867.

Their son is Thomas Dwyer (1869-1953) who was born in Meadows, South Australia and moved to Ballarat, Victoria. Thomas married Bertha Charlotte Carter (1873-1953) in 1894.

I have searched everywhere but have been unable to find any info on John's parents/heritage etc. Would love some help with it.

Regards,
Briellen
Scott: Enzieholme, Eskadalemuir, Dumfries; Meadows, South Australia, Victoria
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria
Kearnan: Meath, Ireland
Berlund: Angermanland, Sweden
Harriott:  Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland; Bungendore, NSW
McFadzen: Wigtownshire; Bungendore, NSW

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Dwyer and Mary Kearnan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 12:53 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned an 1867 marriage for John and Mary - do you have a record for that ?

An Irish civil marriage cert would show father's names, place of residences for the bride and groom etc which could help your search... also might help determine the denomination of this Dwyer/Kearnan couple

Marriage records in other countries often include similar details

(see also the introduction to Irish records posted on your Co. Meath topic)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kearnan and Fegan
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi shanew147,

Thanks for your response.

Sorry, John and Mary married in Victoria. I had resolved this but as I am using my laptop all info is not up to date on it. The brain isn't working properly either, blame the temp in the high 30's!

It is actually John's father I am looking fo r details on. Jeremiah (Darby) Dwyer, farmer, and Bridget (Brigid) Nolan of Coorleigh Townland, County Kiklenny. I will have to go on my PC and do a fresh quest with the right details and cancel this one.

Thanks so much and it was great meeting you :)

Briellen

Moderator Note : moved from a Co. Meath thread where it was posted in error
Dwyer: Coorleagh Townlands, County Kilkenny; Horsham, Jeparit, Tooan, Ballarat, Rainbow, Victoria

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm guessing from the mention of Paulstown that this Dwyer family may have been RC - the baptisms records for this parish go back to 1824, but there is a gap in these from spring 1846 up to 1852 - so having a father's name for your John could be an important clue to assist in ruling any possible matches in or out...

Transcripts for this parish are included on the pay-website at RootsIreland, and include at least three possible matches in the parish around the right time

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kearnan and Fegan
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 13:19 GMT (UK) »
think the replies have got mixed up here... you've a number of topics on the go at the same time.

Did you mean this reply to go on the Kilkenny topic (which mentioned Dwyers) ?
My Surname Interests

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Kearnan and Fegan
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
LOL, yes you are right. The other message I will complete so there is no more confusion. How do I complete a topic so it is no longer current? Thanks.

Briellen

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I've merged that reply and following items onto the correct thread.

Will also mark it as completed ...

Think your problem with earlier records is going to be dates...  you might get as far as Jeremiah and Bridget's marriage but may not be possible to get back to their baptisms if they came from somewhere in Paulstown RC parish. (average starting date for rural RC records is 1830)

My Surname Interests

Offline Briellen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Dwyer and Mary Kearnan - COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi shanew147,

The registers for the Townland of Coorleagh didn't appear to have commenced until about 1827/1828. The family that still live in the old farmhouse have no info on them either to follow up on.

From my notes: "A tentative inquiry made of the Paulstown Parish Priest, father O’Leary by my grandmother and her cousin in August 1985, was not conclusive in ascertaining the number of children born to Jeremiah & Bridget Dwyer. The register appeared to record only one child of this marriage, Viz. an Ellen Dwyer born in 1836. However, according to various Victorian Civil Registration Certificates, Jeremiah was the father of at least two, possibly three additional children."

I have rough dates for the births of the children (sons), just nothing to follow up on with the parents. Oh well, nose to the grindstone again. I will keep digging in the hope something will turn up. Thanks heaps for your help and for completing the other thread for me.

Briellen