Author Topic: Reading new threads - default = end of thread/bottom of page ...  (Read 2358 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reading new threads - default = end of thread/bottom of page ...
« on: Thursday 10 January 13 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help please.

I usually hang around on the HOME page to see the new topics as they are posted. I see something of interest, I click on it I am taken to the thread.

However rather than being taken to the beginning of the topic, I am taken to the end. For example if the topic is one page long I am taken to near the bottom of that page, so I have to scroll back to the top of the page, or scroll a little further down the page and click on the new "TOP" button which takes me to the top of the page. If a topic is several pages long, I am taken to the end of that topic, and then I have to return to the first page of that thread if I want to read the entire thread.

I know there is a setting where I can specify which order I receive replies (I think), and whatever I have set that for is fine. For example, in threads I have replied to, I receive notification of a reply and am taken to the page on the thread where that reply is.

But, is there any setting or any way when looking at new threads that I can be taken to the top of the first page of the topic?

Thanks.  :)

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Reading new threads - default = end of thread/bottom of page ...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 January 13 07:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to change where your page opens, but if you just press the 'home' key (mine's on the right hand side of the keyboard near the top), then it'll take you to the top of the page in an instant  ;D

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 January 13 07:51 GMT (UK) »
I don't have that problem    :-\

- I just click on the topic rather than the page - no problems    :)   Is that what you do??

Beg pardon . . ..
I see what you mean Ruskie - I wasn't encountering that  'cos I was finding the topics from the 'unread posts' page -   

Wiggy   :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 January 13 07:51 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/help/profile03.php
  • Show most recent posts at the top.

see also:
What does "new" by a posting mean ?
http://www.rootschat.com/help/faqs.php#new_icon
in particular:
Clicking on this icon will take you to the last reply you read in this topic, so you can find the new reply/replies more easily.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bob, Wiggy and Heather. I will have a fiddle.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 January 13 13:54 GMT (UK) »
I am really sorry to be so thick Bob, and I have located the information about how to display the posts in a different order, but I can't see where I can actually physically check and uncheck the boxes as shown in the example. Can you please let me know where it is?  :-\

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 January 13 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Righto, clicking on the word NEW seems to take you to the start of the thread. This is good.

I like to hang around on the HOME page rather than UNREAD because I can watch and contribute if I wish, to several topics at the same time. I suppose I've just got used to it - I like to see the NEW topics as they appear, there are a managable number of them, and I can see them all at a glance without having to scroll down the page.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 13 16:27 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't read anything before in that topic, then
clicking on the word NEW seems to take you to the start of the thread

If you have been following a topic closely, clicking on "new" takes you to the last reply.
And if you have read the topic before, but not the latest replies, then clicking on "new" will take you to the first unread reply, i.e. the first "new" reply, so you can "continue" reading.

(a slight glitch: if you have selected "Show most recent posts at the top." in your profile,
then you will be taken to the the reply you last read, and the next reply will be new)

I can't see where I can actually physically check and uncheck the boxes as shown in the example. Can you please let me know where it is?
It is in your profile on the page "Look and Layout"
Relevant Help-page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/profile03.php

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 January 13 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Bob.

I tried "most recent posts at the top" and although it does what it says, I find it a bit confusing and prefer to have the last post of a thread on the last page. So I have 'unticked' that option.

It looks like there is no way around the fact that when selecting a post while on the HOME page, you are automatically taken to near the end of the thread? .... in which case I will just have to live with it ...

Thanks for the help.