Author Topic: Glenskiach Fodderty Ross-shire  (Read 2658 times)

Offline rosgr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glenskiach Fodderty Ross-shire
« on: Saturday 12 January 13 05:27 GMT (UK) »
My Allan Cameron who married Helen Stronach at Contin R & C in 1835, had on the intent to marry registered in Fodderty, that he lived at Glenskiach Fodderty in 1835.  I don't think he was born at Fodderty, probably in Argyll somewhere.  There is now a 'Glenskiach Distillery' but probably not back in 1835.  Does anyone know the area, or more importantly, what might have been on the go there around 1830-35?
The couple left the area after that, being in Glasgow by 1841.

Offline Agneshill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Glenskiach Fodderty Ross-shire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 January 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »

I think your Glenskiach may be the "Glensgaich" (Gleann Sgathaich) which you will find at O.S. Ref. NH 458609.

If you Google the Gaelic name there are lots of interesting Archaeological bits and pieces.

Hope this helps.
MacKenzie
MacLeod
Mathesons in U.S.
MacLeay

Offline rosgr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 13 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Agnes
I found a few things on the web eg 'Glenskiach House' which was built 1890 ( 60 years too late for my people) and 'Glenskiach Lodge' near Evanton Dingwall so gathered it was an area rather than an actual town.  Googling the Gaelic name I get an 'Enclosure' or 'Water Feature' with a kind of map but no other information so guessing there is a stream named Altt Gleann Sgathaich.  I found loads of Camerons in Ross-shire in the 1841 Census but none at Glenskiach.  My man was there in 1835 but I just can't connect him anywhere. 

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
The Allt is named after the Gleann. This can be seen clearly on the earliest Ordnance Survey Six Inch Maps as can a cluster of buildings which I guess must be the location you are seeking. Here's a link:

http://geo.nls.uk/maps/os/six_inch/7/61/88.png

I've had a few problems with the link so if it doesn't work then just go the National Library of Scotland (NLS) website and work your way through to this location.  Hope that helps.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline rosgr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 13 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm having similar issues but will keep trying.

I saw on one map that there's an "Enclosure".  Might this be a stone circle or something else?  Anybody know?

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Depends which map you are looking at but if it's a historical site record then the enclosure could be of ancient date and barely visible on the ground, if at all. On a recent map it's more likely to be a sheepfold or similar. Whatever, I don't see it being of any consequence as regards your search. As I said in my earlier post, the earliest OS map quite clearly show a group of buildings which must be what you are looking for. I'm sorry the link didn't work but try the following and navigate to the location. When you get there then enlarge the image:

http://maps.nls.uk/os/6inch/index.html

If that lik fails then just go on to the National Libraray of Scotland maps website and look for the list of 6 inch historical maps.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline chrisminz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi rosgr
Have you found any more about your Glensgaich Camerons?
My Glensgaich McKenzies lived there up to 1834/35 so our histories may be linked. John McKenzie (of Fodderty parish) and his wife Elspeth McLean (of Contin parish) raised a family there (all baptised in Fodderty parish - with the address Glensgaich. John and Alexander McKenzie held the Tack (small farm holding) and their Tack payments were made to the Earl of Cromartie's (Castle Leod) estate. Maybe your Camerons records are also in the Cromartie Muniments (now held in the National Register of Archives in Edinburgh)?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.