Author Topic: 3 x g granny is giving me death/burial trouble!  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
3 x g granny is giving me death/burial trouble!
« on: Monday 14 January 13 05:54 GMT (UK) »
1841 Janet Brodie is living in Catto Square with her merchant seaman husband John and three working adult children.

1851 her husband is living in Catto Square still but alone with a spinster daughter.

Their headstone reads:
Sacred to the memory of JOHN BRODIE seaman d. 25 Apr 1865 aged 78; his wife
MARY WALKER d. 27 Apr. 1846 aged 60.
Their children;
JOHN drowned Quebes 5 Sept.1846 aged 27.
CHRISTINIA (Sic) d. in infancy.
Base: Erected by ALEXANDER BRODIE sculptor, their youngest son. d. 30 May 1867 aged 37.

The only death I can find on Scotlands People for a Mary  Brodie is in the next year:
"St Clements Aberdeen - 1847   8 Apr       Mary Brodie   Virginia Street   age 70   (poor)   1shilling."  The shilling is entered in the centre column of three columns, the other two are empty.

Her age is wrong and the death date too but there are no others on SP even twiddling with name variants and leaving out specific years etc. And I wouldn't have considered the family "poor" as in workhouse material.

Where do I go from here?

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 3 x g granny is giving me death/burial trouble!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 January 13 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Civil Registration did not begin in Scotland until 1855, prior to that you might be lucky to find a mention in the Parish Registers for the rental of a mort clothe, or there might be a burial register for the graveyard, but often there is no record. What graveyard were they buried in?

Andy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 January 13 07:53 GMT (UK) »
The Mary Brodie you have found is definitely a different person. One point to consider is that your Mary Brodie could well be in the burial book as Mary Walker. In Scotland women do not lose their maiden name on marriage and officially she would be "Mary Walker or Brodie".

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
GR2

On your suggestion, I searched for Mary WALKER dying in 1846 but none were found, so I spread the net to 1847. A Mary Walker did appear but she was only 14 years old.

I'm giving up on 3 x g granny now, she is dead and buried in Footdee and noted on the gravestone. Obviously the records have not been correctly kept or transcribed, nothing I can do about that.

Thanks for your help
Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
This one is confusing me a little.
1)-1841 Janet Brodie is living in Catto Square with her merchant seaman husband John and three working adult children.
2)-1851 her husband is living in Catto Square still but alone with a spinster daughter.
3)-Their headstone reads:
Sacred to the memory of JOHN BRODIE seaman d. 25 Apr 1865 aged 78; his wife
MARY WALKER d. 27 Apr. 1846 aged 60.

Who is Mary Walker?

Regards

Malky

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malky

I think it is a typo in the original post, the 1841 census appears to have Mary Brodie as the wife and Janet is a daughter but it should be noted that the 1841 census does not actually show family relationships. Also Ancestry has transcribed the address as Callo

Andy

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it IS a typo in my original post.

MARY Brodie is John Brodie's wife (nee Walker)

Janet is his eldest daughter, sorry to confuse!

Gen in NBL England