Author Topic: Early UK censuses 1801 - 1831 dont assume these are only head counts - check  (Read 2228 times)

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi folks,

After a visit to a local reference library recently, I was again reminded of the importance of not assuming anything when it comes to the early UK census records taken in 1801, 1811, 1821 and 1831 viz. thinking they were only head counts. For the most part, this was regrettably the case.  However, I know of examples where enumerators have gone beyond the minimum requirement and have listed names and ages (although like the later 1841 census, there was a practice of rounding ages to nearest five years). So, the point of this post is really to remind people to seek out these early records, and if they exist at the local reference archive libraries for example - go and check them out. Check out all those parishes of interest. You may be surprised by how diligent some of the enumerators were more than two hundred years ago, and never forget to look at the enumerator's name on all census log books - where these exist.  A friend of mine for years could not trace his maternal several time great grandparent (although he was able to trace the rest of the immediate family).  By sheer chance whilst looking at a log taken by the enumerator for one of the census (I don't which one it was), an elusive name appeared...

There is a common belief out there that these early censuses have only limited genealogical value. For some areas, this is a complete fallacy; but for me such thinking goes against the empirical academic value of research, research, research and my advice is:

'never assume that something you have not seen has little to offer'. 

You never know, what you may find...

Happy Hunting.

Regards
Kojak

;)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Early UK censuses 1801 - 1831 dont assume these are only head counts - check
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 January 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Kojak

Great advice  ;D  ;D  ;D

And Hi xx

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Early UK censuses 1801 - 1831 dont assume these are only head counts - check
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 January 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daizi from Town Town!!

Hope you and Adam are well.  Have you seen the snowman I created yesterday - its on Jane's facebook...

Kenny xx

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 January 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
List of names from some censuses BEFORE 1841 were kept and have survived - admittedly in a rare number of cases, but Jeremy Gibson and Mervyn Medlycott say in their booklet "Local Census Listings 1522-1930: Holdings in the British Isles" that over 750 parish listings have been found for the censuses of 1801, 1811, 1821 and 1831.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,547967.msg4014786.html#msg4014786

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 January 13 12:30 GMT (UK) »
For future reference, I have added these topics (this and the previously one) to the RootsChat Reference Library under "Pre-1841 census returns"

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/reflib-lexicon.php?letter=P

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)