Author Topic: Thomas Mortimer Ontario 1871?  (Read 980 times)

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Mortimer Ontario 1871?
« on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have found a Thomas Mortimer born in Leicester 1813 to Thomas and Ann Mortimer. Thomas and Ann Mortimer were the names of my great great great great grandparents, however until now I didn't know about Thomas. I cannot say for definite that this is the same Thomas and Ann as although Thomas was born in Leicester, he married Ann in Nottingham and his two other children Henry Thomas and Eliza were born in Nottingham 1812 and 1817.

Why he and Ann would have gone to Leicester in 1813 seems strange and doubtful. However, I don't know when this younger Thomas born 1813 (according to https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N1HC-BZW ) died and can't find a likely match in censuses- only one showing a Thomas Mortimer born appx. 1814 in England, living in Toronto (see here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M43T-884).

It is very very unlikely but this Thomas Mortimer may have been my g g g g grandparents' son. I have found a burial for a Thomas Mortimer in Doan's Hollow Cemetery, Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada here: http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/OND12962/

Can anyone help me find out who this Thomas is that was living in Canada?

Thank you,

Ryan  :)
Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mortimer Ontario 1871?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 13 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you think this could be the burial for the Thomas christened in 1813 to Thomas and Ann in St. Margaret, Leicester?

Burial
Tho MORTIMER   
10 Sep 1815 
St. Margaret's, Leicester 
Father's name: Tho MORTIMER 
Mother's name: Ann MORTIMER

I think this Thomas and Ann are a different family to the one in Nottinghamshire. There seem to be alot of children christened to them in St Margaret's in the right time frame,

This could be their marriage,

Marriage
Thos. MORTIMER
Ann PAYNE 
10 Jul 1808 
Saint Margaret,Leicester

This could the Leicestershire Thomas and Ann in 1841,

1841  HO107/604/9  f.42  p.27  St Margaret With Bishops Fee, Leicestershire
Denman Street
Thos MORTIMER    50    Beer Seller    Yes
Ann                         55                           "
Mary                       20                            "

This Thomas seems to still be living in Denman street in 1851 and 1861.

I can see a Thomas and Ann MORTIMER living in Nottinghamshire in 1841, is this your family?

1841  HO107/870/11  St Mary, Nottingham
Kingstone St

Thomas MORTIMER    55    Beer Seller    N       
Ann               "              50                         Y

If so how do you know that Thomas was born in Leicestershire, it only shows N for "not born in County" ?

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline RJMortimer

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Daisy very much for checking all that for me :) I agree that looks like the almost certain burial record.

Yes the Thomas and Ann that are my ancestors are in all your given records other than the marriage. My Thomas Mortimer married on June 21 1807 in Nottingham, St Mary's.

I know he was born in Leicester from another Mortimer researcher, also see here: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQBM-LYT

Thanks again,
Ryan :)

Researching: LEICESTER/NUNEATON: Mortimer   DONEGAL: McGarvey, Doogan     GLASGOW: Ramsay     DEVON: Edworthy

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure the "Canadian" Thomas was the one who was born in Heckmondwike, Yorkshire. He's there in 1861 with the same wife(Eliza) and children as the one who pops up in Ontario in 1871.

Maureen