Author Topic: Help please with the Ship 'Planter' of Newcastle COMPLETED  (Read 717 times)

Offline Schooner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please with the Ship 'Planter' of Newcastle COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 24 January 13 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This Forum is now completed.
The folloing details have been found.
Barque ‘Planter’ - (Convict ship) was built at Newcastle in 1835 and not Lynn.
Regards
Schooner

Hi
Does anyone please have knowledge of the ‘Planter’ of Newcastle or point me the right direction of where I could get information on her and possibly when registered or built at Newcastle?

My 4th greater grandfather William Bennett age 26 is recorded on 22 October 1836 as a mariner belonging to the ship: ‘PLANTER’ of Newcastle. (BT 120 / 1).

I have searched on line for details of this ship and found the following, but could not find anything on the ‘TNA’ catalogue (only 4 named and neither fits) and the same problem on the ‘Clip’ website.

On the internet I could only find the following three vessels named ‘Planter’ which would fit in around 1836.  Interesting stories etc. about the convicts on board, but very little about the ships.

The 3 that I did  find :

Barque ‘Planter’ - built at Lynn in 1835 and collided with a sailing vessel named Goddess, off the Algiers in December 1847. She was damaged beyond repair. The 1848 Lloyd's register recorded her as lost. (The above convict ship ‘Planter’. In 1838 sailed from Portland to Sydney).

Schooner ‘Planter’ built at, Anstruther, Scotland in 1825. Leith to Sydney voyage.

Convict ship ‘Planter’ in 1832 sailed from Portsmouth to Sydney. (No other info found).

It also looks like there were 2 convict ships named ‘Planter’ around the same time, due to the building date of the one in 1835 and the other one which had sailed in 1832?

Any help please

Kind regards
Schooner
ACKLAND / JONES – Berrynarbor/Nevada/Nebraska/East Indian Company.
BENNETT – Abbotsham/Appledore/Bideford/Ilfracombe/Northam/Cardiff/Swansea/Newport/Newton Abbot/Penarth/Plymouth/Weymouth.
BOON – Appledore/Combe-Martin.
BOYEN – Ashburton/Charles/Stoke Rivers/Ilfracombe/Grimsby.
KIVELL – North Devon.
MOGRIDGE – Bratton Fleming/Charles/South Molton/Ilfracombe.
MUXWORTHY – Great & Little Torrington/West Buckland/Fremington/Appledore/Bideford.
POLLARD – Cawsand/Porlock/Ilfracombe.
SEARL - Bridgwater