Author Topic: Saxtead Look Up please  (Read 745 times)

Offline empire592149

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saxtead Look Up please
« on: Saturday 26 January 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I would be very grateful if anybody can help me with information about the Reeve's family of Saxtead. Here is what I have so far :
1.John Reeve married Sarah Eggart or Leggart in the district of Hoxne in 1829. ( requires confirmation of parish)
2. Sarah Reeve and her 3 sons, David (1830 Saxtead), John (1833 Saxtead)and Samuel (1839 Saxtead)are living in Saxtead in both in the 1841 and 1851 census. (Sarah marked as unmarried)
3. I have recently purchased the birth certificate for Samuel Reeve ( my 2 x great grandfather ) which confirms he was born 6th June 1839 in Saxtead but the father is not listed, although there is a little side note that I can't read.
I'm wondering now, considering that John Reeve does not appear in the 1841 census, if he had died prior to this date and was not Samuels father ( although I would have thought that Sarah would be widowed rather than unmarried in 1851 ) or maybe he was hospitalised or in prison. I'm hoping the parish register entries may hold a little more information which will help me confirm Samuels father is infact John.
I believe Sarah died in 1858 but again confirmation is needed, this may help find out if she was widowed at the time.
Thanks very much for your time and effort.
Angela
Runnacles
Savage
Gridley
Keeping

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Saxtead Look Up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
The baptism details for Samuel at Saxstead, All Saints
Samuel Reeve, born 6th June, bap. 15th August, 1839
son of Sarah, widow
received 4th June, 1843
David, 27th June, 1830, son of John and Sarah, father a farmer
also to John the farmer and Sarah
John Reeve born 23rd November, 1830, bap 24th February, 1833

There was a John Reeve buried in Saxtead, 11th February, 1833 aged 53yrs.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:27 GMT (UK) »
John REEVE married Sarah EGGETT  14 Sep 1829 Saxtead (Hoxne Deanery)

Sarah REEVE buried 23 Dec 1858 age 53 Saxstead All Saints which fits your info but nothing noted to suggest her marital status or there is one other Sarah REEVE buried 30 Jan 1874 age 88 Saxstead All Saints

K

Offline empire592149

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 February 13 13:15 GMT (UK) »
A big thankyou for all your help, as i can find no trace of Sarah after 1851 I think it's fair to say that the 1858 death is most likely hers, just as the 1833 death of John Reeve is probably her husbands, (last child born 1832, shown as widowed in Samuel's baptism record), although this does make him some 20 years older than her). I guess this is the end of the trail as far as Samuels father goes, although I was wondering where the information on the birth certificate comes from, I would love to know what the little side note says.
I was wondering if the marriage entry mentions John being a widower, he appears to have been 49 years old (if the 1833 death is correct) compared to Sarahs 24 years of age.
Also can anybody explain why a child is received into the church 5 years after his baptism.
Thanks again
Angela
Runnacles
Savage
Gridley
Keeping