Author Topic: Re: Conundrum - Huxtable  (Read 850 times)

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conundrum - Huxtable
« on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Everyone.
I haven't been on for a while, but have always found your Rootschatters very generous with your time and expertise.  I wonder if you can help with the following problem with a Great Aunt - and more particularly - her husband.
My Great Aunt, Hilda Turnhill(Turnill) was born in Thrapston - AMJ 1917.  She married Arthur Evelyn Huxtable in JAS 1943 in Peterborough.  There is a possible birth for Arthur in Fulham, London in 1921.  I haven't been able to verify this as we know little about his family.
The 'family history' has it that Arthur died as the result of a road accident in 1949/1950 in the Gold Coast (Ghana).  It was also believed that Arthur was in the RAF, but again, I have not been able to verify this)
I have been able to access records that show both Hilda and Arthur immigrated to the Gold Coast, departing from Liverpool on the 24th September 1953 travelling to Takoradi, Ghana.  Arthur's prfession being given as Paymaster.  There is a further record showing that both Arthur and Hilda departed from Lagos and arrived 23rd November 1954 at Liverpool.  They were recorded as living at Hilda's Mother's address in Nene Street, Northampton. On this journey Arthur's prfession was recorded as Commercial Manager.
The 'family story' has it that Arthur died as a result of a road traffic accident!  The dates the family give are not commensurate with the records.
I do have a further record of Arthur on an incomming list from Lagos to Liverpool - 15th December 1958, but have, so far, not found a record of Hilda returning to Africa with Arthur.  Family history states that Hilda refused all help from family on Arthur's death and insisted that she clear his affairs and return to England on her own.  I have not been able to find a record of her return other than the one mentioned.
I appreciate that this is a very convoluted story.  BUT, did Arthur actually die in Ghana - or was this a 'ploy' by Hilda to 'cover up' a failed marriage??  I have been unable to discover a UK death for Arthur.
Hilda died in Richmond upon Thames in 1990.
Please can anyone out there help to solve this mystery?
Many thanks
Siouxie366

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Arthur's death is recorded on the GRO High Commission Death Indices (1956 to 1965):

Arthur E HUXTABLE d. 1961, Accra, Ghana aged 40.
(Volume 12, page 3.)

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a probate record for Arthur Evelyn Huxtable in 1961
Arthur Evelyn Huxtable of Whiteoaks Green End Road Boxmoor Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire who died 7th May 1961 near Takoradi in Ghana.  Probate London 2nd August to Hilda Huxtable widow.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
hi there,

I would be using this site to have an overseas death search done http://www.stcaths.com/

but firstly  you need to buy the marriage certificate >Peterbro'  3b 520 Sep 1943,
as you need to prove his age at marriage and father.

I notice 2 x Arthur E Huxtables born

March Quarter  1921        Huxtable  Arthur E born of  Hayes  registered at Fulham  (1a 632)
and
 September Quarter  1928 Huxtable Arthur E  born of Morris registered at  Brentford  (3a 268)

so the age is important.

or similiarly you could go to a local facility where the Overseas microfische are kept and check Ghana yourself ... for a possible death.

:)

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
based on manchester ramblers answer the Fulham certificate is the birth

:)

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
The incoming passenger list in 1958 gives his birth as 24th March, 1921 and Hildas as 2nd March, 1917.  Perhaps Hilda didn`t return with him to Ghana and as the records online only go up to 1960 it won`t show her going out or coming back after he died.

Mo

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone who helped with this search, and for providing the answers.
Your help and assistance is very much appreciated, so a very big thank you to you all.
Regards
Siouxie366

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just found this:
The Times, 12th May, 1961
Huxtable on May 6th 1961 as a result of a motor accident in Ghana Arthur Evelyn Huxtable aged 40 beloved husband of Hilda Huxtable, Whiteoaks, Green End Road, Boxmoor, Herts.  The funeral took place in Ghana May 8th.

Regards,
Mo

Offline siouxie366

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 January 13 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mo,
Thank you very much for the quote from The Times.  We believed it was a motor accident, but were never quite sure.
I can understand the reasons for 1) a quick burial in Ghana due to the climate, and 2) the perhaps considerable cost of transporting a body "home."
My sister was very close to Hilda and Arthur in her youth, and it is a shame that she, nor any other of his family, can visit his grave to pay their respects.
I am most grateful to you - and everyone else - for all efforts in this case.
How brilliant are "RootsChatters"???!!!  VERY!!
Regards,
Siouxie366