Author Topic: Lord Nelson Inn (Dock House), or known as Nelson's place in Blyth  (Read 7966 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lord Nelson Inn (Dock House), or known as Nelson's place
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 February 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks now, but Michael Dixon sent me a message asking that I check my picture collection for you. It is good news too. I have two pictures which show the pub, though sadly not very clearly.

The pub was at the northern most end of the High Quay and adjacent to the Graving Docks. So one would have had to turn left at the end of Nelson Place to get to it. I have marked the pub with the pink arrow in the first image, and the red line marks Nelson Place.

The second image taken from a very old book (out of copyright now) shows the pub and you can just make out the name Lord Nelson on the front.

If the original poster sends me a private message with their email address I will send copies of these gladly.

Enjoy.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 February 13 13:45 GMT (UK) »
And image two........

Sadly I have had to markedly reduce the size of the image so that it can be added to the forum, so the name Lord Nelson is no longer readable.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 February 13 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I have had a fiddle and cropped out the important bit for you. You can just make out Lord Nelson Hotel above the door. This image should print off nicely on A4 glossy.

Philip

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 February 13 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Rummaging a bit more I have come across a photo' of the Graving Docks with the cleared area that the pub stood on in shot. Taken from the top of the Gas Works in the early 1960s, whilst the staiths were still in use. The red telephone box marks the location of the Mid Ferry crossing.

Philip

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 February 13 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Not wanting to hi-jack the subject matter here, but Nelson Place also had a bit of a character living there at one time. Willie Horn, a Cobbler who was also an evangelist. Perhaps visitors to the Lord Nelson if it existed then, got admonished by him for their sinful and ungodly ways!

http://www.victorianblyth.co.uk/horn.htm

P

Offline shlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 February 13 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh!!! Excellent!
That is brill. I'm so chuffed!!
Thank you!!!

Offline shlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 04 February 13 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thats loads of great info!!
Thank you so much for these pics!
It sound daft but it kind of completes a little chapter!

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 04 February 13 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I know exactly what you mean. It is satisfying to be able to identify a location and get to see something of what would have been very familiar surrounds to our ancestors.

You mention in your first post about a Blyth History book and mention of Nelson Place. Which one was it?

P

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:01 GMT (UK) »
As for a modern view of the scene, this is a photo I took on 10th February 2012 from the opposite side of the river. The tall white column marks the location of the pub. How things change with the passage of time.

P