Author Topic: registering a birth in 1918 - would the father be on the certificate if.....  (Read 3025 times)

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
registering a birth in 1918 - would the father be on the certificate if.....
« on: Saturday 02 February 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
OK, I think I have broached this subject before. A relative of mine died in 1918 - killed in action in ww1, leaving behind a pregnant girlfriend. He had promised to marry said girlfriend on his next leave from duty, but was killed before he could do so. I understand a child from unmarried parents would be registered under their mother's maiden name, but would there likely to be any mention of the deceased father's name on a birth record when they were unmarried, but effectively engaged?

Dead father is edward rowland cooke died 1918. son is not known by name. Mother of son is Bertha but unknown surname.
Cooke, Hewes, Proops, Jefferies

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: registering a birth in 1918 - would the father be on the certificate if.....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately not.A father had to give his consent or be present at the application.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: registering a birth in 1918 - would the father be on the certificate if.....
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I doubt whether his name will appear on the certificate...see Barbara Dixon's excellent information on this ....http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm#COL4
What Bertha might have done is give the child her fiance's surname as a middle name & if it was a boy maybe his first name too  :)

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Jane, thank you. that was a web page I was searching for but couldn't remember what it was called. I will have a go at requesting marraige certs of possible contenders to see if I can uncover anything. Thanks for your help all.

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:16 GMT (UK) »
You'll find Barbara Dixon's pages on FREEBMD under 'information'  :)

Jane

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Between 1837 and 1874 if the mother informed a registrar of an illegitimate child's birth and also stated a father's name, the registrar could record him as the father, although he may not have actually been the father.
This applied until The Registration Act of 1874 which stated:
"The putative father of an illegitimate child cannot be required as father to give information respecting the birth. The name, surname and occupation of the putative father of an illegitimate child must not be entered except at the joint request of the father and mother; in which case both the father and mother must sign the entry as informants" The Act came into force on 1st January 1875.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 February 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
It might be worthwhile searching for a death report in the local newspaper(s) for the time.  One of our family died in WW1 and I'm sure the news report mentions a fiancee.  Similarly, there's always the possibility of an engagement notice .............. always worth a try.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenback56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 February 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I am trying to enquire with my library if they have newspaper notices from that year, but I wont be able to go and look until friday at least due to work. I know there is more to geneology than searching for your own family members, but sometimes i do wish I did that as a job and not running around in the NHS after everyone else.......

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 February 13 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps we can help.  There are online newspapers but we would need to know where this happened,

Jane