Author Topic: Christopher Vero Ballybrennan Bree inquiry  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christopher Vero Ballybrennan Bree inquiry
« on: Saturday 02 February 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out what happened to the ownership of Ballybrennan house, Bree, Enniscorthy/Kilgowanmore between the time Christopher Vero died on the 1/1/1885 and when a John C Jones owned it during the 1901 census and sold it shortly after. The 1901 Census must have been early in the year as J C Jones had a daughter born to him in March at his new address. I believe his estate went to Christopher Veros wife and that is where my research goes cold.
Help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Vero Ballybrennan Bree inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 February 13 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1901 was taken on the 31st March
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 February 13 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.
I must have a mistake with a date for one of my ancestors then.
The rest of the information is correct.
Despite high infant mortality rates and lower life expectancies, not one of your direct ancestors died childless.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 February 13 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Houses of Wexford; (David Rowe & Eithne Scallan) Permission granted.
----------
Ballybrennan House Bree;
Associated families; Vero-Green-Jones-Rothwell-Deacon-Finn
Townland; Ballybrennan
Location; S917.322.3 Km due W of Bree.
--
History;
Ballybrennan House was built ca. 1780 for Charles Vero, reportedly with stones from the Synott tower house nearby. The Veros came to Ireland with Cromwell and later became middleman for Lord Carew of Castleboro. Charles Vero was killed in the 1798 Rebellion.
The Valentine Gill map appears to indicate that a Mr Green lived here in 1811, but there is some uncertainty about this attribution.
Subsequently Robert Disney Jones came into possession, and the Jones family held the property till the first few years of the 20th century, when John Rothwell purchased it.
John Rothwell dies in 1904, and his widow, Susan, married John Deacon in 1906, and the holding remained in Deacon ownership until a few years before Bill Deacon died in 1977.
The Deacons could not properly maintain the house, and it fell into destitution. The Finns bought it from Bill Deacon, and have recently been carrying out extensive restorations and refurbishment of both house and grounds.
==============
Jack

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 13 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack
Thanks for that.
Every little bit helps.
It's when the Joneses came into possession of Ballybrennan house that I'm most interested in.
Robert returned from Canada with his wife and children and ended up here. If I could find out exactly when then I might be able to find out why too.
My understanding is that Christopher is a son or more likely a grandson of Charles Vero. He is still a land owner in the Griffiths valuation for Kilcowanmore.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Ballybrennan, Killinick
Townland; Ballybrennan Big
--
has a small mention of Jones,
The Down survey of 1657 mentions " a slate house".
By 1811 it was apparently the property of a Mr. R Jones, who demolished the castle.
----
Jack

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Ballybrennan big is a different part of Wexford, there is also a Ballybrennan little. It's between Wexford town and Rosslare.
The R Jones is Richard and along with his brother Henry managed that estate which was owned by the Earl of Rathdown(Viscount Monk). I don't think these Joneses are related to Robert D Jones of Bree. If they are it would have to go back before the mid 1700s.

Offline veroajs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack2227 and CharlieJ. I've been looking into the Vero (my) family history in England and Ireland and was interested to see your mention that the Vero's of Wexford came over to Ireland with Oliver Cromwell in around 1650. I've found previous evidence that my great great grandfather (another) Charles Vero (from Atherstone, Warwickshire) carried out in 1901 of Thomas Vero being born in Galway in 1610 but it might have been another branch of the family that originated from Lincolnshire pre 1500. I was wondering where you got that information from? Best wishes. Alex V.

Offline Charlie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 22 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Alex
There is reference to the Veros in a book "100 Wexford country houses"
I don't have any more info than this.