Author Topic: Victorian /SA Court records PETERS  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victorian /SA Court records PETERS
« on: Sunday 03 February 13 04:15 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered that a female relative of mine, Catherine Peters of Dartmoor in Vic. was arrested in Mount Gambier on 16 Jul 1873 on a charge of being implicated in the murder of an illegitimate child. she was remanded to Dartmoor. On the 21 July she had the charges dismissed.

My question is how do I go about obtaining a copy of this file.

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian /SA Court records PETERS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Ding,

I am not familiar with Police Files for Victoria, so I cannot give you a direct answer re where to find the (police) file. 

However, at the following link to a newspaper article, it suggests that the charges had not yet been dealt with by the Victorian Courts.  The article was from Sth Australian Register of 22 July 1873.    I have not yet found confirmation that the charges were dismissed. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/39299397 .

So I am a tad confused, as your OP states :
..... On the 21 July she had the charges dismissed.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 03:02 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing in the 1872 to 1874 Victoria Police Gazettes in regards to this case.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 03:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of the death certificate for Catherine's child?  Seven months prior to mid July 1873 is mid December 1872.    What was the cause of death as noted on the dc?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 04:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a letter on TROVE, published in the South Australian Register, Monday 15 September 1873.

The letter is from a William PETERS of Victoria Dairy, Dartmoor Vic.  He writes to the Editor complaining that the South Australian Register published the report of the arrest of Catherine and goes on to state that Catherine was before the court in Dartmoor on 21 July and 'discharged, the evidence totally failing in any way to incriminate her'.  Mr PETERS suggests that the newspaper ought to publish these facts as publishing the arrest without the outcome has damaged her, and her family's, reputation.

How to get hold of the record is another matter   :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 05:13 GMT (UK) »
There is no Victorian birth registered with Catherine PETERS as a mother in 1872 or 1873 or a death in 1873. 

There is however in 1874 and 1875.

Birth
PETERS Walter
Father Unknown    Mother Catherine PETERS
1874  Reg#24237

Deaths
PETERS Walter
Father Unknown  Mother Catherine PETERS
1875 10 days  Born Carlton Reg#2985

PETERS Catherine
Parents unknown
1875  21 years  Carlton  Reg#2972

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 February 13 07:59 GMT (UK) »
There was an inquest into the death of the first infant.
The Index entry--

Name- Peters
Given name-
Place- Dartmoor
Year- 1871
Reference- 915
Sex- M
Cause- Inanition (This I have learnt means :- the exhausted condition that results from lack of food and water. )
Occ- Male infant

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. I have just realized that I haven't put in my new email address.
I don't have very much info on Catherine. I was hoping that the inquests may give me an age. She is listed as deceased in 1906. I was thinking that the registration in Carlton may have been her but 21 years old in 1875 seems a bit young as she witnessed her sister's (Elizabeth Francis) wedding in Mount Gambier in Jan 1872. I think she was the child of Thomas Peters and his first wife Elizabeth Brown (married Cornwall 1843) and may have come out to SA with Thomas' sister and brother in law Catherine and Edmund Martin on the Sibella in 1848.
This incident I am hoping might help prove  that but as yet I haven't got an age for her.

Ding
Lincolnshire Bell, Australia Bell, Cornish Peters, Australian Peters, Cornish Martyn, Cornish Pollard.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 February 13 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Wondering, then, who is the William PETERS who wrote to the newspapers requesting them to ensure that the dismissal of Catherine's court case was published.

Thought he may have had a will that had some clues but there is no William PETERS will on PROV in the right area.  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk