Author Topic: How to trace illegitimate child's father  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Rob61e

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to trace illegitimate child's father
« on: Sunday 03 February 13 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ,

I'm tracing my 2xgreat grandfather from talgarth , his name is William Charles Williams .... He his on the 1881 census living with his mother Elizabeth b Williams and grandmother hannah williams although on the census his mother is rosa
 davies . I have found out that this is a lie....... I have his birth and death & marriage certificate .
On his birth certificate it doesn't say his fathers name , but when I got his marriage certificate , the name William Williams was registered as his father .....occupation landowner ....... I was told that the local parish will have the name of William Charles Williams father as they were the CSA of the time ...... Is there any truth in this ...???? Any advise welcome

May thanks

Rob

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: How to trace illegitimate child's father
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 February 13 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It was a very common practice for illegitimate children to make up a fathers name and occupation when they married so as to appear "respectable".  They also used relatives names

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rob61e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 February 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you carol , I was told that a relative name could be used , but there is something amiss here ,
There is no Charles in the family , but like you said it could be to seem respectable . :-\

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 13 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

If Williams mother was poor she might have received help from the parish of his birth or her own parish if different. If the Overseers of the Poor or the Guardians of the Workhouse (according to date of the birth) had paid out money they would be looking to collect from the father, if the mother could not pay, and William's mother would have to name him. All this would be recorded and the local Record Office should be able to tell you what is available.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:46 GMT (UK) »
...his name is William Charles Williams .... He his on the 1881 census living with his mother Elizabeth b Williams and grandmother hannah williams although on the census his mother is rosa
 davies . I have found out that this is a lie.......

May thanks

Rob

Rob, I think you are reading the 1881 census incorrectly.  I see nothing there that says that William is Rosa's son.  They are listed in order of age, and I think you will find that David was a little younger that William.

The head of the household is Hannah WILLIAMS.

Elizabeth B. WILLIAMS is her unmarried daughter.
Rosa Annie? DAVIES is her widowed daughter.
Annie E. DAVIES is her granddaughter.
William C. WILLIAMS is her grandson.
David W. DAVIES is her grandson.

It would be logical to assume that the two DAVIES children belong to Rosa, and William is the son of someone with the surname WILLIAMS.  Your research has shown that William was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.

Debra  :)

Offline Rob61e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob

If Williams mother was poor she might have received help from the parish of his birth or her own parish if different. If the Overseers of the Poor or the Guardians of the Workhouse (according to date of the birth) had paid out money they would be looking to collect from the father, if the mother could not pay, and William's mother would have to name him. All this would be recorded and the local Record Office should be able to tell you what is available.

Thank you wred, I will have to contact them to see if there is anything available .

Offline Rob61e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 February 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
...his name is William Charles Williams .... He his on the 1881 census living with his mother Elizabeth b Williams and grandmother hannah williams although on the census his mother is rosa
 davies . I have found out that this is a lie.......

May thanks

Rob

Rob, I think you are reading the 1881 census incorrectly.  I see nothing there that says that William is Rosa's son.  They are listed in order of age, and I think you will find that David was a little younger that William.

The head of the household is Hannah WILLIAMS.

Elizabeth B. WILLIAMS is her unmarried daughter.
Rosa Annie? DAVIES is her widowed daughter.
Annie E. DAVIES is her granddaughter.
William C. WILLIAMS is her grandson.
David W. DAVIES is her grandson.

It would be logical to assume that the two DAVIES children belong to Rosa, and William is the son of someone with the surname WILLIAMS.  Your research has shown that William was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth.

Debra  :)

So I did , thank you for pointing this out to me Debra

Many thanks