Author Topic: Griffith's Cancellation Books available for Offaly?  (Read 6578 times)

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffith's Cancellation Books available for Offaly?
« on: Monday 04 February 13 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if the Cancellation Books for Griffith's Valuation are available for County Offaly?  These records were kept every time land changed hands, even within a family.

Are the records online or available on microfilm thru a Mormon Family Research Center?  I have been unable to find out.

My gg grandfather, Michael Herrick, is in Griffith's.  The family story is that he 'lost his land' and was forced to emigrate unwillingly.  It would be a huge help to know when this happened as I am trying to document a vivid family story.  Thanks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Griffith's Cancellation Books available for Offaly?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
these are not online - held in the Valuation Office, Irish Life Centre, Dublin.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  I was told by someone that the Mormons had microfilmed at least some of them.  It's really a pity as the records are so valuable.  But thanks for letting me know where they are.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 February 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I did hear of some available on LDS films, but in black and white, so you lose much of the useful information. You would have to check their catalogues to see which areas might be covered.

The main divisions used for Valuations are DEDs - i.e. Electoral Districts and a new book was started for each area every 10 years or so (that's when the older one is 'cancelled'). The DED boundaries sometimes changed as populations shifted.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
I did find that the Kings/Offaly records for my ancestor's townland are held by the Family History Library on microfilm.  I requested the copy a month ago and am waiting for the film to arrive.  I'll report on the results--hoping to solve a family mystery.

Offline 777777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 14 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison,

I am in Dublin at the moment and can go into the Valuation Office to look up things for you if you like. Let me know.

Offline Alison55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilis--That is very thoughtful of you.  I did get the microfilm from FHL and it is at my local public library now so I hope I will find my answers.  Thank you again for your kind offer. It is much appreciated.