Author Topic: Ladies School, Scarborough 1890's - Information Sought  (Read 5212 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Ladies School, Scarborough 1890's - Information Sought
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Posting on behalf of my godmother, the sister of an ancestor is shown on the 1891 Census at 17, West Street, Scarborough (RG12/3967/17/28.) The sister in question is Ada Louise Banks age 15 born Fordham, Cambridgeshire. This appears to be a school as on the previous page the head of the school is a Miss Victoria K Ennals with her sister a Miss Mary L Ennals both shown as schoolmistresses.

In 1890, an entry in the Bulmer's directory for Scarborough has the following entry:

Leedes-Ennals, Miss M, Ladies School, Scarbro.

My godmother & I would like three questions answered if possible.

1. How long did the school last for, i can only find them in 1890/91?

2. What if any records survive pertaining to the school & if any do where would we find them?

3. What was a 'Ladies School' & was it a type of boarding school as Ada L was born in Cambridgeshire the daughter of a farmer, although by 1891 the family were living & farming in Roxton, Huntingdonshire?

Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David

PS - We know that the school building still stands, formerly a hotel, now a B&B!
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ladies School, Scarborough 1890's - Information Sought
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 April 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
david,

It was certainly there in October 1892, as Miss L M Ennals was summoned for allowing an unmuzzled dog on the highway and find 10 shillings, being reported in the York Herald.

There was a another ladies schools in Scarborough,  at Clifton Villa, Ramshill Road, Scarborough, an advertisement in 1866 reads: Education by the SEA-SIDE-Clifton Villa, South Cliff, Scarborough, Mrs. Maynard from the South of England receives a select number of young ladies to board and educate. They will be carefully, morally, and intellectually trained, enjoying at the same time the comforts of a cheerful home combined with the mild discipline of a well-regulated school.

By 1872, this school had moved to 2 Rawdon Villas, Ramshill Road-Clifton Villa was sold to Edward Dixon, my great, great, great grandfather a retired fodder dealer for the army.

Have you tried any contact with Scarborough library, they have a good local history section and have helped me in the past.

I notice that a few pages back in the same census is an Antoine Wachter, principal of Ladies College,  at 4, West Street. In the same directory of 1890 is this entry: Wachter Mademoiselles, French ladies' school, Gordon house, West street.

In 1896, Gordon House, 4, West St,  was sold for £1,050 see The Yorkshire Herald, and The York Herald (York, England), Monday, October 12, 1896; pg. 3; Issue 14150. from  19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II at your local library on your library ticket.

Another entry for that same directory: see http://www.ramsdale.org/scarboro.htm, states the following:

Among the private establishments for educational purposes may be mentioned:- Oliver's Mount School, The Westlands, Westwood Collegiate School, The Uplands, Haddo School, Gordon House, Grammar School, Belgrave School, Grosvenor Crescent, School of Art, Clifton House, St. Martin's School, &c.

The Westlands, Westwood Collegiate School, Haddo School, did Cambridge University Public examinations & College of Preceptors- an examination with two objects in view, to gain a diploma, and also a way of having a common examination for different schools in the locality.

So maybe by 1896 the school had moved on somewhere else, or try the local library and see what they can do for you.

Tom

Online cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 April 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
There is an advert Stamford Mercury 11 March 1892
General servant(good). Apply Mrs Leedes Ennals, Neotsbury School, Scarborough.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 April 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom & Cathy,

Many thanks indeed for your replies, very much appreciated.

Tom, some extremely interesting information there. There seems to have been quite a number of schools in Scarborough at this time. I haven't as yet contacted Scarborough Library, but it is something that i will be doing. Many thanks again.

Cathy, that is rather an intriguing advert as Neotsbury is the old name for the town of St Neots in Huntingdonshire (Now Cambridgeshire) that Miss Victoria K Ennals was born in. She clearly knew her history! I now wonder if the school gave them a good education before helping them to find a position as servants or other employment! Many thanks again.

Hmmm, just found Victoria Kathleen Ennals in 1901 as Headmistress in Louth, Lincolnshire. Her age is given as 34 but she was 32 in 1891, methinks the lady has knocked a few years off her age! ;D Her sister Mary Leeds Ennals appears to have disappeared.

So sometime between 1892 & 1901, the school moved to Louth in Lincolnshire.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 April 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
I would think that Scarborough would be a popular place for schools as the sea air would be healthy - if somewhat bracing!

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 April 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
david,
 There was a another ladies schools in Scarborough,  at Clifton Villa, Ramshill Road, Scarborough, an advertisement in 1866 reads: Education by the SEA-SIDE-Clifton Villa, South Cliff, Scarborough, Mrs. Maynard from the South of England receives a select number of young ladies to board and educate. They will be carefully, morally, and intellectually trained, enjoying at the same time the comforts of a cheerful home combined with the mild discipline of a well-regulated school.
Tom

When my parents retired in 1970 they moved from Pinner to Osgodby.  Some two or three years later they moved to No.8 Ramshill Road, an apartment in a divided house.    The building next door looks exactly like Clifton Villa.   The apartment was sold in 1989 after my mother died.  Just wondering now whether Edward Dixon was related in anyway to the Dixon's of Gateshead circa 1890.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 April 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sillgen & Malcolm33,

Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Sillgen, Yep, certainly seems to have been a popular place for schools, that's for certain. At least 3 in West Street alone, that i am aware of. Yes, bracing is definately the word for it! ;D

Malcolm33, unfortunately i have no idea as to Dixon connections, but perhaps Tom will be able to help you, as its his family.

Kind regards

David

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 April 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
The Yorkshire Herald, and The York Herald (York, England), Thursday, January 28, 1892; pg. 5; Issue 12683. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

In this edition, the results are given of the Christmas Examinations of the College of Preceptors, and several pupils from Neotsbury School, including A. L. Banks, who was in the Second class, third division, who gained a special certificate for music.

As for the Dixon family in Clifton Villa & Valley House, then this is the copy of the advertisement for the sale of these properties in the Leeds Mercury.

Important Sale of Valuable Freehold Property, South Cliff &etc, Scarboro’
Mr. E. Starkey will offer for sale by Auction, at the Cambridge Hotel in Scarbro’ aforesaid, on Friday the twenty first day of July, 1871, at two for three o’ clock in the afternoon (subject to conditions of sale to be then and there produced) The following valuable FREEHOLD property consisting of
Lot 1: All those two Semi-detached VILLA RESIDENCES, situate in the Ramshill Road, Scarbro’ aforesaid, respectively called “Valley Bridge House” late the residence of Dr. Jackson, with the coach-house and stable thereto adjoining; and “Clifton Villa” in the occupancy of Mrs. Maynard.
Valley Bridge House contains a dining and drawing rooms, 21ft. by 15ft., study, breakfast room, house-keeper’s room, seven lofty bedrooms, bath room with hot water apparatus for heating the house throughout and bath purposes, also kitchens, wine cellar etc. Clifton Villa contains nearly the same accommodation. The premises are elevated above the Ramshill-road, commanding the most comprehensive and picturesque view of Ramshill Valley, Londesborough Lodge and Grounds, the Crescent and Valley Bridge.

I enclose a photograph of the Clifton Villa taken a few years ago. Another photograph of the house next door, Valley Bridge House has the name plate saying number 6.

Edward Dixon was born in Leeds in 1828, son of George Dixon & his wife Mary. I don't think he had any connections with Gateshead.

Tom

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 April 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
   This is the house next door.     I have a photo with both this house and my parent's home next door, but am not sure how to upload it here.    Whe I click on 'I' I just get the html indicators and not a browse and upload window.    I have other pictures of Ramshill Road and one looking across Valley Bridge with these two houses in the distance.

The Dixon connection is just one of those coincidences that happen to me quite frequently.  Just got another one.    I found a page with a Scarborough directory of 1890 and right up near the top it has 12 Ramshill Road.   Then about two lines down it has the Mayor - James Hutton  (my surname).

Just noticed the attachments below, and will try it.    Problem this photo doesn't show much of Clifton Villa.   I'll have to get Ilse to scan it for me.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields