Author Topic: Baptisms at Ripon - Myers  (Read 582 times)

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptisms at Ripon - Myers
« on: Thursday 07 February 13 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Umpleby married David Myers at Ripon 2/12/1816. The 1841 census shows Sarah and David living in Allhallowgate, Ripon, with two children, Mary (17) and David (2). I am pretty sure that Mary and David both died young. David Myers was a dish turner.

I am hoping that someone with a copy of the Ripon PRs can check whether Sarah and David had any other children.

I think David died in 1870 and Sarah in 1872. But so far I have been unable to find Sarah in the 1871 census. (She was born in Rainton near Topcliffe about 1797) I wonder whether she might have been in the workhouse if there were no surviving children? Can anyone see any sign of her?

Thanks
Mary

Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire

Offline Paul M

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms at Ripon - Myers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 13 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Looked in Ripon Workhouse for her in 1871 and she does appear to be there.

RG10 / Piece 4275 / Folio 84 / Page 42 ...

Sarah MYRES / Inmate / Widow / 73 / Formerly Charwoman / Yorkshire, Ripon

I'm afraid I don't have Ripon PR's - the originals are kept at NY County Records Office I think, but Ripon Historical Society have published some on CD and I think they probably have filmed most of them now. Completed films are available at Ripon Library apparently.

But I see you're not local so I would get in touch with the Society and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help.

http://www.riponhistoricalsociety.org.uk/ripon-records/

Cheers, Paul
Harrogate, North Yorkshire (formerly in the West Riding of Yorkshire).

Offline saar3

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms at Ripon - Myers
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Dear Paul

Many thanks for that. I had a suspicion she might have died in the workhouse.

Have contacted the Ripon society and ordered the CD.

;D ;D
Researching Moon, Jeffrey, Umpleby, Mortimer, Lowcock, Lynch, Naylor, Cobb, Emmott, Lofthouse, Limbert, Brooks, Gilbank, Wilkinson, Watkinson, Hebden, Hey and Clemie in Yorkshire<br />and<br />Myatt and Lawrence in Staffordshire and Warwickshire