Author Topic: Reverend DAVID GRIFFITHS DAVIES  (Read 3343 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend DAVID GRIFFITHS DAVIES
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 June 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
I have just merged your reply to the topic so that the poster with be notified of your reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline willyam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 July 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
Miles,

I have not seen the court listing referenced in the original post but there is a condensed report of the proceedings in The Cambrian newspaper issue of 30th November 1822, on the excellent Welsh Newspapers Online website (which is free to peruse).

Regrettably it is somewhat unpleasant and, as navigating the page is not the easiest thing, I have transcribed the item below for your enlightenment:

'In the Arches Court, on Saturday, the Rev. Griffith Davis, curate of Ascot, and also of Charlbury, in the diocese of Oxford, was sentenced to suspension from his office and clerical functions for three years, for habitual drunkenness, obscene conversation, indecent swearing, and most disgustingly consenting to the prostitution of his wife in his own presence; and that before he should be restored, he should produce certificates of his good behaviour from three Clergymen. The Judge added that it was still in the opinion of the Bishop's Court to pronounce sentence of deprivation. The defendant was also sentenced to pay all costs; he lately took the benefit of the Insolvent Act, but the Court said that that would not avail a defendant in his situation, as an exemption from costs.'

Willyam

Offline Miles1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 July 20 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Willyam
Thank you very much for that. Not good for my oldest Davies ancestor. To my knowledge we have been good since then. I will have a look at the Welsh Papers. I am trying to find his Welsh family but David Griffith Davies is like Smith. The fact it is appearing in the Cambrian paper might be a pointer.
Thanks Again
Miles