Author Topic: George BELLAMY MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!  (Read 25815 times)

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George BELLAMY MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!
« on: Saturday 09 February 13 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so this may be a long shot but I am desperate to find the connection between Admiral Sir George Somers and George Bellamy MD of Plymouth.  I have found reference to them being connected through a 'collateral descendent' but cannot actually find the connection.
All and any help very gratefully received!

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: George Bellamy MD/Admiral Sir George Somers - Long shot!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
You may have more success if you give some idea of dates and details of the reference you have located.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 February 13 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, Admiral Somers 1554–1610 was born in Lyme Regis Dorset and deemed to be the founder of the British colony on Bermuda.  I have found numerous references to a portrait purchased from "Miss E. Winifred Bellamy, of Woodside Cottage, Plymouth, Devon, England, a descendant of Sir George ... [the portait] which Miss Bellamy inherited from her ancestor, Dr. Bellamy, MD, connected with the Somers family".  Now there have been a couple of doctors in this branch of the Bellamy family, but I am pretty confident it's George Bellamy MD (1773-1863), who fought at the Battle of the Nile, served under Nelson at Trafalgar and went on to become Mayor of Plymouth (1811-1812).
Hope that helps  ???

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:25 GMT (UK) »
If you just google george bellamy 1773 you find stuff. ;)

http://genforum.genealogy.com/bellamy/messages/1055.html

says that Winifred Wilhelmina was the daughter of Rev George who was the son of George MD 1773, but she married John Thomas Dixon in Northumberland (marriage 1855 in GRO index). They had a daughter Wilhemina Elizabeth who married James Bellamy Higham.

So certainly there was a Winifred in the story and the reference could be to her -- grdaughter of George MD -- before her marriage?

That person (gr-grson of Rose, a granddaughter of George MD) might have more information; there's an email address there.

... I love sources, and full info.

http://www.bermuda-online.org/sirgeorgesomers.htm

The portrait was purchased in 1932 (or 1937) so obviously the E Winifred Bellamy in question was not a granddaughter of George MD 1763.

"The Bellamy family, direct descendants of the Admiral"

This would make George 1773 Bellamy the Dr Bellamy in question, if a male ancestor of George Bellamy 1773 had married a female descendant of George Somers 1554, presumably.

That is, in order for the line to go
George Somers 1554
George Bellamy 1773
E Winifred Bellamy
(Elizabeth Winifred Bellamy 1846-1929?? purchased from her estate?)

there had to be a Mr Bellamy + Ms Somers marriage between the 1575ish and 1770ish. And there would presumably be at least five generations in that 200-year span!

Is this academic interest, or are you connected with one of the families? Are you in touch with any members of the Bellamy family, for instance?
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey
This is actually a very specific project for my grandfather's 95th birthday (though at this rate it may be his 100th!!  ;D).  I am the greatx4 granddaughter of George Bellamy MD (born 1773) though not through the Highams but the Bellamys (my mother is a Bellamy) and I'm trying to go as far back as I can through time as I know he would be fascinated.
So any and all help from anyone out there, Bellamy or not would be hugely appreciated!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Aha, a time-sensitive question then!

So for starters, have you ascertained who the parents of George MD 1773 were?

Work backwards from what you know, and all that. ;)

Or forwards from George Somers ... and hope to meet in the middle!

http://www.chrisrobinson.co.uk/places/bellamyclose.shtml

"Born in an old house, close to St Andrew’s Church, in 1773, he was brought up by his aunt (his mother died in the act of giving birth)."

Baptism and burial records for Plymouth 1773 for starters ... there's nothing at FamilySearch.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Janey - great minds obviously thing alike and that's how I'm working at the moment.  I was just hoping that someone out there might already have this info as I'm very new to this genealogy stuff and I know there are a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people out there.  :D

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 February 13 19:50 GMT (UK) »
FS was being temperamental - "Geroge Bellamy" 1773
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC9N-M3X

You can see the details at findmypast for a fee, to get parents' given names, or someone reading here may have access to the parish register info for you.

There's a George Bellamy + Mary Burrow marriage 1771 ...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KC9K-9P3

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 February 13 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janey
Thank you so much for helping out  :D
This is as far as I've got ...
- George born 1773
- His parents: George (1749-1804) and Mary Burrow (1749-1783) - though I think his mother's date of death is incorrect as I have found another source that states she died giving birth to George.
- His grandparent: George (1713-1798) married to Mary Winnefred Forster (1712-1789)
- His great-grandparents: Josias Bellamy (dates unkown) married to Gathred Mitchell (dates uknown)
After that I'm a little bit stuck (and that's assuming the info I have is correct LOL!) - as I said, I'm a novice at this (though finding it very compulsive ... and fascinating!)