Author Topic: Port Elizabeth Birth Certificates  (Read 5283 times)

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Port Elizabeth Birth Certificates
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, a friend of mine would like to get her mother's birth certificate, she was born 1917 PE is that possible??
She also married twice in South Africa , are there any sites that i can give her to look at  & maybe order any certificates.
Thanks in advance

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Port Elizabeth Birth Certificates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Please let us have her name, date of birth and various surnames so that we can try and get more information for you. 
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Her name was Nellie Helen Hayden, born 23 july 1917, Port Elizabeth she married abt 1935 to ? Deyzel & abt 1943 to Eric Whitehall.

Thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi - battling to find anything on her or the husbands.   In the meantime I found a site which seems to deal with a number of Hayden's from the Port Elizabeth area.  She is not mentioned, but possibly her parents could be. The site is www.mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/mardig/hayden1.htm

I also found a tombstone for a Maude Hayden who died on 2 November 1918 in Port Elizabeth - could that possibly be a relation?

I looked for a baptismal certificate on familysearch hoping to find her full names/parents under the given dates for PE but found nothing, but I do know that they are not complete.  I also looked on the National Archive site, but found nothing in the areas I looked.

One other thing - Nellie is often short for Helen - could that have just been her nickname and that her name was Helen Hayden without the Nellie?

Hopefully the website might help.

Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline aj57

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
 yes Maude was her mother.
Maude's parents were Charles Penny Wright & Hetty Margaret Rintoul.

Maude's husband :
ATRH's Death Notice shows that he died at Groote Schuur hospital, and that he was described as a bookkeeper. He was buried in a single plot, numbered 22274C, quite near Gate 3 in Maitland Cemetery. A low blocky headstone is inscribed: "Alfred Thomas Radford-Hayden," -- {I cannot remember the next word} --"... husband and our Daddy. Until we meet again"  His widow was Petronella Magdalena, formerly Steyn, and they had three children.

Maude & Alfred Hayden had 3 mentioned children : Richard Edward Hayden, Myrtle Hetty Hayden, Harry Neville. (Nellie's daughter mentioned a Thomas??)maybe died young.

In the article you sent i had already read & spoke to Nellie's daughter as it mentioned Alfred left his family abt 1913 -1914??.

I am looking at Nellie's death certificate /migration record she was recorded as Nellie Helen Whitehall.

Possible that Nellie was born - different father (illeg).

Are you able to find any info on her siblings/3rd wife or have a photo of Maude's Headstone?

Thanks for your time /effort

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 February 13 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Maude's tombstone can be seen on www.eggsa.com.  Search under gravestones for Hayden and it will come up. 

Alfred's estate papers are in the National Archives in Cape Town Vol 6/9/5291 ref 64721 dated 1939 and there are also estate papers for a Myrtle (no Hettie) Hayden dated 1937 Vol 6/9/4934 ref 55244.

Somewhere else I also found a reference to a Thomas Hayden who died in 1888. 

Would their surnames not all have been Radford-Hayden and not just Hayden?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline LoganBG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 23 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Alfred Thomas Radford-Hayden was my Great Great Great Grandfather. His Great Granddaughter, Patricia Anne Hayden, is currently living (in England). I've been tracing my family tree and found your post so thought I'd see if this goes anywhere. Alfred was born in Peckham, London in 1870 and died in Cape Town in 1939.