Author Topic: 1832 marriage at Kirton: Willliam POWELL & Mary HAYS  (Read 493 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1832 marriage at Kirton: Willliam POWELL & Mary HAYS
« on: Tuesday 12 February 13 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Married at Kirton (NTT) Holy Trinity 13 Feb 1832: George POWELL of Norton Cuckney and Mary HAYS of Kirton parish, according to Pallot.

I think this is probably the same George POWELL that previously married Mary WRIGHT at Laxton 1818.

If they were the same man, the 1832 marriage details ought to mention George was a widower. Please would you advise the details of this 1832 marriage at Kirton (NTT).
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1832 marriage at Kirton: Willliam POWELL & Mary HAYS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Weather permitting I am hoping to visit Nottingham archives tomorrow (Wednesday).  I'll look this up for you and report back.

NC. 

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Whoops - a slip methinks! 

Just to clarify.  You said William in the heading and George in the body of the message.  Confirming that you do indeed mean William Powell.

Thanks for the PM, still on for Nottingham tomorrow as no snow yet. 

NC.

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I looked up both marriages for comparison.  The earlier marriage at Laxon 4/8/1818 to Mary Wright said William was a bachelor of Wellow and Mary was a spinster OTP.   The witnesses were ..?. .Rogers and William Wright.

The Kirton marriage 13/2/1832 said William was of Norton Cuckney and Mary Hays was OTP, no mention of previous marital states. The witnesses there were John Powell and Alice Gibson or Gilson.

Managed (just) to avoid the snow but it followed me home. 

NC.

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* 1832 marriage at Kirton: Willliam POWELL & Mary HAYS
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 February 13 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the lookup, Nottschick

Apologies for the mistake, George doesn't come into it!

The William who married Mary HAYS at Kirton was born at Wellow according to the 1881 census so I am not worried about him being 'of Norton Cuckney' according to this marriage entry. William had a brother John so this is probably the witness John POWELL.

I am pleased the snow didn't catch you and I hope your trip to Nottingham was succesful for you.

Good luck with your research!
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)