Author Topic: gathering info.  (Read 683 times)

Offline cardiff Irish

• RootsChat Member
  • Fuair mé nuair nach maibh mé ag cúrdach
    • View Profile
gathering info.
« on: Sunday 05 June 05 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all, I liked the idea of a sort of swap shop......helping someone out in a parish of mutual interest etc. Problem is getting someone in a sleepy Hef. village with an interest in a sleepy Irish village is a bit remote. Just to add to this idea....... how many of you get a kick out of helping someone out with a tricky rellie.....admit it- you get a lot of satisfaction from it....don't you? When you come across an unusual story how about tracking down someone who would have an interest? There was a local history book published here in my local town about a Brit. army graveyard. I read with interest about an officer who buried 2 of his chilren there (unusual name) I found a researcher in OZ who was descended from this family........... he never knew anything of these 2 children......he prob. never would of known of them either.It's great practice for your own research too.Also, your reclaiming a little bit of history too. Take a closer look when reading a local newspaper.....it's amazing what you come across.Ypou never know someone may just get in touch with you one day. I get a great feeling from it............ 9 out of 10  times they can't believe your not connected. Worth a try. Regards,Kevin.

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: gathering info.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 05 21:03 BST (UK) »
This is a great idea but not so easy to implement I think.  At risk of tipping Berlin Bob right over the edge perhaps we should have a 'Places of Interest' Table alongside the SIT?

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk