Author Topic: Jean (Jane) Young wife of John Imray - puzzled!  (Read 1528 times)

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jean (Jane) Young wife of John Imray - puzzled!
« on: Friday 15 February 13 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that there is somebody out there who is far more experienced at unravelling puzzles than I am because I need your help!
So these are the facts that I DO know ....
1) John Imray (1820-1902), patent attorney and founding member of Abel & Imray, born Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, son of the Rev. John Imray.
3) In 1837 he comes to London
2) 1846 he marries Jane Guppy Trenchard in Edinburgh and they have a daughter, Catherine, born 1847
3) Jane dies in 1848
4) John (widower) and his daughter Catherine appear on the 1851 census as 'visitors' to Jean (aged 22) and David (aged 19) Young at Pope's Villa, Cross Deep, Twickenham
5) He marries Jean in 1851 in Longside and goes on to have many other children.
6)  1842 Thomas Young, tea merchant, builds a house on the site of Pope's Villa in Twickenham. (Is this Thomas, Jean and David's father ... one would assume so)
7) Thomas dies in 1851
8) Jean (sometimes appearing as Jane) dies in 1904 in Essex

Ok, so this is where I need some help from you lovely people.  I cannot find, for love nor money, a record of Jean's (Jane's birth) or David's or a birth, marriage or death for Thomas, or indeed any of them on a census record (other than that of 1851).  As a novice, I'm probably just doing something wrong, but all and any help very gratefully received  ???

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jean (Jane) Young wife of John Imray - puzzled! UPDATE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 February 13 18:47 GMT (UK) »
I think I have found Thomas on the 1841 census with his two sons Thomas and David - he is described as a tea dealer, so that ties in with his occupation.  But wife and daughter Jean are still mysteriously absent! Any ideas?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean (Jane) Young wife of John Imray - puzzled!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 February 13 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Can only go sideways at the moment.....

You can download Thomas's will from the National Archives, should cost £3.36

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D38365

He was buried at St Mary's Twickenham 16 January 1851

I think Jane Young b 1829 is at school in Islington in the 1841 census HO107 / 664 / 15-42 / 11
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 February 13 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so  much! I am still learning the ropes with regards to research - you're help has been invaluable.  :D

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 February 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
According to the Electoral rolls up to 1849 Thomas owned freehold land at Deep Cross Twickenham.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jennifer, that's enormously helpful  :D.  If anyone has any clever ideas, what I would really like to find is who he married and when and the birth details for Jean (Jane) and her brothers.  ??? I am really struggling to find them.
Dawn - I was wondering where you found the record of his burial at St Mary's Twickenham?
Thank you everybody for helping me out  :D

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 February 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
The parish register has been deposited at the LMA, as have the electoral registers, and images and transcriptions are available through Ancestry.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 February 13 12:13 GMT (UK) »
The trouble with this is the Young surname is so frequently occuring, even with the forename Thomas.

There are plenty of possible marriages.

I don't want to send you off in the wrong directions, but on the 1841 Thomas is shown as being born in Scotland. If he was a religious man he might have married at a Scottish Church (in London?) but this is clutching at straws as we don't know where his wife came from.

We also don't know if these were the only 3 children he had.

I would suggest getting the will, it's a small outlay and, depending, on when it was written, might mention his wife or, if his son's have married, their wives and/or grandchildrens names.

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline natp_70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 February 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn  :)

I have purchased the will and only those three children are mentioned in it and what is especially interesting for me is that John Imray is one of the trustees (my great x 4 grandfather).  Based on the census records of 1841 (with John and the boys living in Islington and Jean at school in Islington) it would appear that his wife may have died between the birth of the youngest boy David (born 1831) and the 1841 census and there is no mention of a wife in the will.

I have however managed to find Thomas' parents (David Young and Jean Smith) and all his siblings.

You are absolutely right about the common nature of the name as I have found an enormous number of possible matches both in England and Scotland.  I am hoping that birth certificates for the three children might give me a clue but to be honest I'm struggling with finding those as well!
I really appreciate your help - like I said I am a novice in this area of research so may well be missing something in the available records.

Best wishes

Nathalie