Author Topic: sarah brompton  (Read 1143 times)

Offline ginnerboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sarah brompton
« on: Sunday 17 February 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
i am trying to search for the birth of sarah brompton who we all believed was born in cahir tipperary, i now feel she might have been born in shorncliffe kent in and around 1865-66 as this was an army camp.
her father was george brompton (1835?) and her mother ellen donohue (1844?), they were married in 1862.
can any of you experts out there shed some light on this and possibly any information on her fathers military career as i am new to all this and your help would be immense.
john brompton

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: sarah brompton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 February 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage in Ireland (Fermoy district, Co. Cork) for a George Brumpton & Ellen O'Donohue in 1862 which looks promising-
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGXM-KJJ

Also a child- Elida Brompton born 23 May 1864 Fermoy dist. (page 723 in civil register), parents- George Brompton & Ellen Donohoe.

Civil registration of births started in 1864 so if Sarah was born in Ireland in 1862/3 there will be no Irish certificate.

Have you found the family in census records to see if ages/places of birth are consistant?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ginnerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 February 13 11:54 GMT (UK) »
i know of elida bromptons birth and that of her parents marriage, it is her sister sarah brompton born in 1865-66 that i am looking for whether that was in ireland or kent is the mystery.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes, but have you been able to trace the family in any census records yet?

If so, was Sarah younger than Elida? is Sarah's birthplace always given as Ireland? is her age consistant?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 February 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The only birth registered in Kent at that time was this one.

Sarah Brompton Dec 1865, Elham Kent (2a 816).

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline ginnerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 07:05 GMT (UK) »
there will not be a census for sarah and her family at the time of her birth as her father was i believe in the army and based at shorncliffe, they then returned to ireland, i would love to find the military record for her father george brompton just to confirm he was with the army around 1865-6.

Offline nataliepaskell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi John...I saw your post on here and also saw a comment on Ancestry.com on the Brompton family in connection with my own tree so you may be one and the same person - if you can let me know if you have already been in contact with me on Ancestry.com. George Brompton b.1835 is also my great x3 grandfather. I don't have a lot of info on him only that his father was also called George and that they were originally Quakers but I do know from my research that his daughter Sarah was definitely born in England unlike her other siblings (my geat-great grandfather Frederick George [known as George], Bridget and Elida). I know this from the 1911 Irish Census, where she states she was born in England - she states her age to be 43 so I had looked for her birth for 1867/8 but if you have information on her birth being 1865/6 and that her father was stationed at Shorncliffe then she would probably be the Sarah Brompton born Elham Oct-Dec 1865 as Elham is very close to Shorncliffe. I have the Census page and other marriage info if you would like. Regards Natalie