Author Topic: robert staulkey  (Read 2584 times)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: robert staulkey
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
hi pat,
          its my bad spelling it should read affpuddle  (pallington) its small village in parish of purbeck dorset 507 people in 1841 cencus  www.opcdorset.org/affpuddle/1841 brings
 up the cencus,how was leiston today  aldeburgh is nice place i am hoping to get down again this year all being well for a few days

allan

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation, I was wondering if it was a mistranscription of a Suffolk village  ;)
Leiston was fine and Aldeburgh was amazingly quiet, for a nice change.

Pat ...
PM sent
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 March 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Just wondering how much you were able to find out about John William Frederick Storkey.   Being an unusual name I had a 'play' last night - it's a b.....r to find on records but got back eventually to his grandfather who was born around the same time as Robert and, like Robert, wasn't born where he said he was on the census.   I guess it's possible they were brothers even.

I don't want to post all that I found out in case it's information you already have.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 March 13 15:56 GMT (UK) »
hi; thank you,
                     i have a copy of his army discharge papers that were in the tea pot and from them i think this is the same person that i found have john william frederick storkey birth sangor (saugor) 1871 parents william storkey mothers name mary john joined the army according to his papers the royal artillery on 6th august 1886 at clonmel tipperary at aged 15 signed on for 12 years and it also states on theses papers born at sangor bengal i think his father may have been also a soldier as it says on his army papers last permanent address the barracks at clomel he was discharged from army having been found medically unfit after serving 15 yrs 139 days on 10th 2 1902 he marries in leiston suffolk june 1902 ada (marjoram ) it interesting that along with the teapot the lady had a carriage lamp from the garrets works and town fire engine and when you visit the longshop my relation thomas george staulkey (gt grandfather) is listed on documents beside the horse drawn engine as being on the crew the longshop has sent me a few photos of him

allan

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 March 13 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Allan

Continuing on from what you know of John William Frederick Storkey.   Depending on what document you are looking at the surname varies between Starkey/Stirkey/Staulkey/Storkey/Storky/Sturkey!!   (His stepfather was a Henry Lever, d.1900).

1861 Census - Leiston, Suffolk - ref. RG9 - 1178 - 74 - 15

William Staulkey    20     Blk. Smth       born Aldbrough (i.e. Aldeburgh), Suffolk
Maryann Staulkey   21                         born Rendham, Suffolk
Elen Jane Read        1                          born London, Middlesex

(Transcribed on Ancestry as Stanlkey!)

William Storkey married Mary Read Sept.qtr.1860 Plomesgate Regn. District, Suffolk

Although I can't trace service records it looks like William joined the army shortly after 1861 census.

They had the following children baptised in India:

Ellen Catherine Storky b.8/1/1860, bp.19/2/1863 Chinsorah, Bengal (must be Elen Jane (?) in census) - looks like she was bur.8/8/1869 as plain Ellen.
William George Sturky b.19/2/1862, bp.19/2/1863 Chinsorah, Bengal (must have died)
William Frederick Stirkey b.8/7/1865, bp.12/8/1865 Lahore, Bengal, bur.28/12/1865 Lahore
Isabella Storkey bc.1867 bur.9/8/1869 Saugor, Bengal
John William Frederick Storkey b.8/4/1871, bp.26/4/1871 Saugor, Bengal, bur.30/9/1875
Henry Hollis Storkey b.8/10/1874, bp.1/12/1874 Nowgong, Bengal, bur.30/9/1875

William must have died around 1874/1875 as his widow then remarried:

Henry Lever married Mary Storkey 23/4/1876 Nowgong, Bengal, E.I. (Henry also in Royal Artillery and this info. on his service records)

1841 Census - Aldeburgh, Suffolk - ref. HO107 - 1031 - 1 28 - 6

Saml Stalkey  30
Mary Stalkey  20
Maria Stalkey  1

(transcribed as Falkey on Ancy and SSalkey on FindMyPast)

1851 Census - Aldeburgh, Suffolk - ref. HO107 - 1802 - 555 - 20

Samuell Starkey    44    Ag. Lab.    b.Aldeburgh, Suffolk
Mary Starkey 36                                  ditto
Marah Starkey  11                               ditto
William Starkey 9                                ditto
Samuel Starkey 8mos.                         ditto
Elizabeth Butcher (lodger)

Samuel Storkey married, I think, Mary Todd Mar.qtr.1837 Plomesgate.

Samuel (as Starkey) bur.8/1/1852  Aldeburgh

So, under various spellings, JWF's grandfather was a Samuel Storkey bc.1807 Aldeburgh but no baptism there which is akin to Robert Staulkey bc.1804 Leiston (but no baptism there).

Were they brothers perhaps?   

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 March 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
hi annette,
                 i must thank you so much for all your info  on what you have found i am just trying to take it all in i dose look like possible that jwfs grandfather and my robert staulkey were perhaps brothers and spelling of name has changed with them its interesting that on 1861 cencus you found for william i had some credits left for find my past and putting in your ref no rg9 1178 74 15 in find my past its transcribed as starckey but when you read entery it certainly looks clear that the name on sheet is staulkey i am in the library just now as they have library edition of ancestry and just going thru it under stanlkey where i find some of my staulkeys under this name but can find them all when i put in staulkey i think there must be definate connection with the two names staulkey and storkey i will get copy of williams marrige certificate to see if anything may give clues on it have found them on find my past marrying under the storkey name ref 4a 884 its a srange one then you find them 1861 cencus using name staulkey all this would seem to fit in with what was found in the teapot and having the coach lamp from the  merryweather victoria fire engine at the longshop leiston as i say i am just taking it all in at moment the spelling dose get varied at times as i get lots of mail with people having various attempts at spelling my name what you have found certaily helps back up what we were thinking that there must be a connection i think will study the details more when i get home and print them off in the library thanks again for all your hard work on finding this

thank you

allan