Author Topic: Trying to find an address  (Read 1944 times)

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to find an address
« on: Monday 18 February 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find the location of 3 Croft Terrace in Bamburgh. It's detailed as the address given in the 1901 and 1911 census for the family that I'm researching (The Knox's). I actually live in the area and have asked locals, got the old ordinance survey maps out from the late 19th century that my FIL just so happens to have in his loft, I've asked members of the local history group on Facebook, tried finding information on the internet, to no avail.

I've only been doing my family tree for 6 months, so I'm still learning research methods and places to look, so sorry if this is a bit of an obvious question, but if someone could pinpoint me on where I should be looking for this address, I'd appreciate it. Is there land records and where would I find them?
Knox's of Bamburgh/Wooler/Scotland?,
Smith's of Beadnell/Berwick-upon-Tweed/Ord
Hastie's of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Vosts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Poots of Northern Ireland
Hydes of Northern Ireland

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find an address
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Mmmm. Curious. I haven't managed to discover anything myself. However, looking at Old Maps ( http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html ) I noticed the foundations of a terrace out in the fields to the south of the village on the east edge of field '67' as marked on the Old Maps of Bamburgh. On today's maps, just by the car park opposite the castle, you will see a house or dwelling with a drive off the B1340 Links Rd. If you follow the line of the wall just on the north side of the house/s boundary, and then take the first wall which runs south from the zig-zag you will see on Goggle Maps the outline footprint of an old terrace. Now, whether they be the foundations of old barns, or the foundations of what was once Croft Terrace I really cannot say, but it makes one think!

Anyway, don't apologise for being a novice or lacking experience. We all have to start somewhere, and we are all at different levels of advancement when it comes to the overwhelming subject that is Family History. Fortunately for you, you have discovered the Rootschat folk and we are all on your side. A wonderful bunch of people all with FH in common. So, welcome. You are among friends.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give you the information you are looking for.

Philip

PS here is the grid ref for the location I am talking about. I haven't worked out how to add a link to a location on goggle maps yet, otherwise I'd post a link to the site.
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 00:45 GMT (UK) »
One way you might be able to narrow down Croft Terrace is to locate your family in the censuses, then check the neighbouring addresses on both sides following the enumerator's path. (I usually write them down in order which I find helps) You often come across a street or other landmark which still exists today, and then you can try to find the address on a current and old map and compare with an old map. This is the method I usually use.

You can also check the District number which gives a description of the Enumeration area covered which can also be helpful.

Something else to consider is the fact that Croft Terrace may not be named on a map. It may have been a terrace of houses which were built on a street, for example the full address may be: Croft Terrace, High Street, Bamburgh. So you would need to locate High Street, Bamburgh, and Croft Terrace may have been a group of terraces on that street. (I hope you can understand what I am getting at  ;) ... (and of course I just made up the street name to use as an example).

Anyway, this may be why you can't find it on your old map.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 00:52 GMT (UK) »
I can see some Knox families in 1901 but unsure which is yours. What are their first names?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I can't find Croft Terrace in 1901, though I can see it in 1911. The family that are there in 1911 appear in 1901 listed as living on Main St., south side so it sounds as though Croft Terrace was a group of houses within Main Street?

Compare the 1901 neighbours adresses with the census summary book in 1911, there are house names on both which are listed just prior to and just after the Knox family.

The other thing you could try is to find out where you can access old electoral rolls  they 'may' give both the terrace and the street name - that is how I discovered the house my mother grew up in had both a terrace and a street name, I hadn't previously been aware of that.

Good luck with it.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 01:21 GMT (UK) »
doh! Just as I went to close the pages down I noticed that the occupants of 1, 2 and 3 Croft Terrace in 1911 (per the summary book) were all resident in Main Street South Side in 1901, so it looks even more likely.
Unless of course they all moved en masse from the same street into Croft terrace - which is possible, but unlikely :-)

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 08:51 GMT (UK) »

PS here is the grid ref for the location I am talking about. I haven't worked out how to add a link to a location on goggle maps yet, otherwise I'd post a link to the site.

Google Maps http://goo.gl/maps/3uddp

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 09:27 GMT (UK) »
You get a link to Google Maps by clicking on the 'chain' symbol.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christiek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you all for some really interesting and helpful replies. Sorry for the slip-up, for some reason I thought it was on both the census records. Ticketyboo, I think you are right and the address in main street and Croft Terrace are one and the same. I think I may be taking a trip to Bamburgh in the next couple of days to see if I can locate the exact house, after I've had a bit of a look at some maps.
To the rest of you, thank you for the helpful tips, I've written them down and shall try using them the next time I'm trying to locate an address.

By the way, if anyone ever needs a grave rubbing or a grave photographed in Bamburgh, Beadnell or Seahouses, feel free to give me a shout.
Knox's of Bamburgh/Wooler/Scotland?,
Smith's of Beadnell/Berwick-upon-Tweed/Ord
Hastie's of Berwick-upon-Tweed
Vosts of Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Poots of Northern Ireland
Hydes of Northern Ireland