Author Topic: Melbourne, Victoria birth? Completed  (Read 5423 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne, Victoria birth?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to see they used his surname in later life. ;D

Many SA photographers listed here even if they only advertised once in the newspapers of the day.  No further info on George SWAIN.

http://www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/noye/Photogs/Phot_set.htm
SWAIN & CO.
SWAIN G.E.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Woah, nice pick up on Trove re: George getting knocked off his bike by a horse :)

First is the court case and second the incident itself.  His injuries appear to be much worse in the court case than reported at the time.  Ah well the press get it wrong all the time don't they :-X :-X

I can't see them arriving back in the UK before the 1911 census. 

Cando

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I'm pretty sure I've got the same family on the 1911 census. Tell you what, they didn't like to leave Norfolk once they married, had kids & often died in Norfolk  ;) Sounds like Tasmanians (I can say that....am one!)
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 February 13 06:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure you have the right family on the 1911 census... I found the same one as you and it all matches with what we have found ;D

Yes noticed you were in Tasmania :)   Living near a state border many of my life events have occurred in two states although not many miles apart :)

Interesting search :) 

Cheers
Cando

Offline Kswain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Melbourne, Victoria birth? Completed
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 September 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Cando, I am trying to find George Edwin Swains parents names.  He was my great grandfathers brother Percy John Swain.  Did you happen to look into him further?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 20 September 14 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi kswain  :)

Welcome to rootschat  :)

A little more digging with George's baptism helping considerably.

Marriages 1863
SWAIN Charles  Luton 3b/988
SALE Susanna  Luton 3b/988

Baptism
SWAIN George Edwin
4 Aug 1867 Christ Church, Luton, Bedford, England
Father Charles SWAIN  Mother Susanna

Oooh  was George married previously….and if so that is possibly the reason that the children are named as step-children on the 1911 census.

Marriages Dec 1886
SWAIN George Edwin   Luton    3b/864

Three marriages and only five of the six people have been transcribed as no Clara mentioned.

Trawling the images ....Could this be his wife?
WARD Clara Ann  Luton  3b/864   The 6 is not clear and could be read as a 5.

1891 Living at 26 St Annes Road, Luton next door to Charles, Susanna, Mary Jane, Annie Amelia, Herbert Stanley and Percy John who were at 24.

SWAIN George  Head M  24   Photographer  Born Luton
SWAIN Clara  Wife  24  Finisher  Born Luton
SWAIN Minnie   Dau  3  Born Luton
SWAIN Lily C  Dau  1 Born Luton

In 1901 George was a visitor, married and born Luton so what happened to Clara and chn Minnie and Lily C?

Cheers
Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 September 14 05:16 BST (UK) »
Civil Divorce Records

SWAIN George Edward [sic]
SWAIN Clara Ann
Petition year  1907
Petitioner wife      Divorce Court File #8028
Petition filed 289 Oct 1907
Decree nisi  28 Jul 1908
Final decree 8 Feb 1909

Named George Edwin in the file…….Adultery coupled with desertion of the Petitioner for two years  and upwards without reasonable excuse.

Cando

Offline Kswain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 September 14 05:58 BST (UK) »
 :D wow, you are good I am searching randomly through the web so it is difficult at times.  I am new at this game.  Thank you thank you thank you! What do you use to access records? Here is a comment/source about Clara.

My gr grandfather and George E Swain had quite an interesting past.  With Percy John Swain actually using an alias of John Percy for a few years until his brother helped him out financially. 

SWAIN, George Edwin

2a Davey Place, Norwich         
KN1908, KN1912, AN1916

1867-1933. He was a photographer by 1891, when, at the age of 24, with  his wife, Clara, and two small children,  he was in Luton, Bedfordshire. He was still in Luton in 1901.  By 1905 he was working as a photographer in Adelaide, Australia, where (Paul Godfrey has discovered) he was knocked off his bicycle by  a negligently-driven horse and trap. He was back in England in 1907, for he took on the Davey Place studio in Norwich when his younger brother Percy (see below) ran into debt at the end of the year. The Davey Place studio was augmented and then succeeded by one in St Giles Street (see  entries for Mrs Swain, below). After the First World War Swain was active in the moving picture industry, recording current events for showing in local cinemas. His son, also George, followed in his footsteps. (Stephen Peart: 'The Picture House in East Anglia', [Terence Dalton, 1980]).

SWAIN, Mrs G

25 St Giles Street, Norwich
AN1916

See, also, Mrs M Swain, below.

SWAIN, Mrs M

27 St Giles Street, Norwich         
KN1912, JN1914, KN1916

This is Mildred Mary Swain, 1879-1962, wife of George (above).  From the opening of the Davey Place studio onward, the Swain photography business seems to have involved both George and Mildred, and for a time they appear to have been running two studios. Their son, also George, joined the family business towards the end of the First World War, at the age of sixteen. (Everitt).

SWAIN, Percy John

Born c1883, Percy was the much younger brother of George Edwin Swain, above. In 1901 he was working in London as a boot-shop assistant. Other details, including his  period as a photographer in Norwich, can be pieced together from a report found by Paul Godfrey in the 'Norfolk Chronicle', 29th Feb 1908, together with a follow-up piece on 28th March:
            Before going to London, he had, in 1899, become a chemist's assistant in Luton. In 1902 he set up as a photographer in Hastings, Sussex, but was in financial difficulties after two years. Leaving Hastings with debts unpaid, he took a variety of jobs in different places, working under the alias of 'John Percy'. In March 1907 he arrived in Norwich and joined Louis Smith (q.v.), whom he had known in London. They acquired a former studio at 2a Davey Place and set up as photographers. In September 1907 the partners hired further premises at Orford Place, which they ran as the Lightning Speed Photography Gallery. Smith managed the new studio, while Swain (still generally known as John Percy) stayed at Davey Place. In December, Smith wanted to dissolve the partnership and carry on alone. This led to the drawiinng-up of documents that referred to Swain by his real name (under which his earlier debts had been incurred), and Swain decided to file a petition for bankruptcy. In due course his brother George took on the Davey Place business.
            Percy Swain moved on, and in 1911 he was working as a photographer in Loughborough.

http://www.early-photographers.org.uk/Nor%20S.html