Author Topic: Lost Recitation  (Read 2629 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Recitation
« on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:16 GMT (UK) »
While chatting about our family history we realised that none of us know the recitation that was my Grandfathers party piece. 'The Burning of Boolavogue Chaple', its about 1798 and it starts 'One cold stormy night in winter, I think it was christmas time..' He was well known in his area for story telling and step dancing, unfortunatly when we knew him he had had a stroke and really couldn't dance, but sometimes he did still put down the sweeping brush and his walking stick crossed and attempt to teach us! But we do remember him reciting this and would love to find it, I have searched song books and online to no  avail. I hope someone here may have come across it?

Hopefully
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Recitation
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
is it this the one ?

http://www.anthonykearns.com/boolavogue_001.htm

Wonder about the mention of winter and Christmas - as far as I know the rebellion and other incidents took place in May and June of that year
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:53 GMT (UK) »
there's a mention of this being an 'almost forgotten poem' in this 2008 article/obituary in the Enniscorthy Guardian..

Katie lived life to the full
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 14:47 GMT (UK) »
it this the one ?

http://www.anthonykearns.com/boolavogue_001.htm

Wonder about the mention of winter and Christmas - as far as I know the rebellion and other incidents took place in May and June of that year

Thanks but no this is not it. The mention of Christmas is ok as its not referring to '98.

" One cold stormy night in Winter, I think it was Christmas time. We Sat round the fire in a circle and each in his turn told a rhyme. A feeble knock came to the door and to open it quickly I ran, and there stood shivering before me a feeble and decrepid old man. I ushered him into our dwelling and bade him sit down by the fire....... he told us some '98 stories the most of which I have forgot but one I'll remember fovever it happened right near to this spot." 

That's all I remember except a sentence much later on "Jack Murphy come out of your shore hole you're fitter to die now than I" Grandad was always very animated on that line ;D

M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 14:50 GMT (UK) »
there's a mention of this being an 'almost forgotten poem' in this 2008 article/obituary in the Enniscorthy Guardian..

Katie lived life to the full

Ha now this probably is it, I am from Oulart and its not too far from wher this Lady lived. I may be able to track down her family they may have the words?

Thanks Shane

M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary