Author Topic: Deciphering a Latin note posted on a Catholic Baptism Certificate  (Read 1861 times)

Offline aidandsherry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering a Latin note posted on a Catholic Baptism Certificate
« on: Friday 22 February 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to decipher a note written on an entry in the Baptism Register of a Liverpool church in 1879. The mother of the baby died the day after the baptism. I cannot find any links with Kings Lynn in the family, nor a William James(?) Anderson.

Could anyone enlighten me as to what the note could be saying?

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering a Latin note posted on a Catholic Baptism Certificate
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 February 13 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I think that it is an endorsement giving the subsequent marriage details of the child baptised. It was [and still is] the custom for Catholics on marriage to send notification to the baptism churches of the parties concerned so that their baptism records had the subsequent marriage details of the person concerned - very useful for genealogists. 

If I'm reading it right then it's: Mat [Matrimonium] con... [not sure of the Latin word - but meaning conjoined or similar] post sanatio [means after healing or possibly recovering?] - don't have a clue for In Rodice? but the date and then cum - with William Henry [Henricus I think] Anderson - in ecc [in ecclesiam - in church] King's Lynn Norfolk.

Of course - if you now tell me it was a boy who was baptised then I'm going to look very foolish!

Free bmd has an entry for the marriage of a William Kirby Anderson - December quarter 1858 at King's Lynn.

jds1949

Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 February 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Does this help?

Sanatio in radice - revalidation of a marriage by reason of a consent formerly given, but ineffective at the time owing to some ecclesiastical impediment.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15256c.htm

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 February 13 19:49 GMT (UK) »
That helps Bootbox.

What`s puzzling me is the date - 17/11/58 when the baptism of Jessie Baker was in 1879.  :-\

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 February 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
My apologies for not checking the baptism date in your first post.

According to a tree posted on Ancestry William Kirby Anderson married Mary Ann Ward at SS Margaret & Nicholas King's Lynn on 7th November 1858.

The couple seem to have had 7 children, the last a daughter Nellie in 1878, all in King's Lynn.

Curious!

jds1949

Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline aidandsherry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 February 13 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your comments, which solve the meaning of the words written. The person in question, Jessie Baker, married a Robert Davies in 1896 and died in 1936.

The date of 17/11/58 could refer to 1958 rather than 1858, but that would make the person in question 79 years old when they were married - and I can't find any evidence of a William Henry Anderson marrying in Kings Lynn in 1958.

I suppose there is the chance that the entry was written against the wrong name, which given my knowledge of Jessie Baker and the fact that she was born, married and died in Liverpool, seems perhaps the most logical explanation.