Author Topic: Lewisham (Lee) Daltons (D'Altons)  (Read 3002 times)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lewisham (Lee) Daltons (D'Altons)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again,

Mary Sydney Ann D'Alton died 3 Oct 1916, referred to in her death notice as the relict of Oliver D'Alton HM War Office, London and loving mother of Oliver Cleveland D'Alton of Mosman, aged 85. As per the Sydney Morning Herald.
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, considering the above, do you know if the Brighton Oliver was a Catholic or not?
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo
Thanks for all that interesting stuff, it clarifies and sometimes rewrites a number of things I had discovered, giving me a far better insight into the family background of Oliver junior.  For your info, before gassing himself in October 1939, Oliver Junior who was reputed to have risen from the Brighton backstreets (now untrue) was licensed to trade on a specific beach and ultimately became the owner of Brighton's Palace Pier.  His only source of income was that pier and beach (still known as Daltons), but when both were closed off because war had been declared, he became convinced he was going to be made pennyless with only his furniture to his name.  He was actually one of Brighton's richest self made men, so died leaving over £129,000, no small sum when the average local house could be bought for under £1,000.     

I have no knowledge whether he was still a Catholic, but can say that he was noted for his generosity to those in need during the depression of the 1930s.    Roy G

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Ok, not sure what's going on but I don't seem to have an option to attach a file anymore??

You can't do attachments on any "xxx Lookup Requests" board! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, I thought I was going mad! Can I ask why not?

Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 09:30 GMT (UK) »
I have absolutely no idea!

I just know that on certain boards, you can't do attachments.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask why not?

Primarily to prevent people posting images of copyrighted material in response to lookup requests I believe ;)

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wolfeeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 March 13 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found this thread as a result of looking up Oliver Dalton, apparently he was the proprietor of the Palace Pier, which I found out first through Sir Harry Prestons biography, 'Leaves from my Unwritten Diary', (you can get copies on the internet), page 90, an enlightening story about the birth of greyhound racing in this country, and how Oliver made £40,000 from a £1000 investment. But I only got to find that out because my dad told me he used to be best mates with Olivers nephew, Pat Dalton, Tom Daltons son. My dad remembers Tom as having the franchise for the gaming machines on the pier. So when I showed him the book, he asked if a Dalton was mentioned, and there in the index was Oliver Dalton, who the old man instantly remembered as Pats Uncle.

I'm researching William Walker Sampson, which is how I got to this point, he was a friend of Sir Harry, and quite probably knew Oliver too. William died at 122 Kings road, Brighton in 1929, of a heart attack. He was an art dealer based in Piccadilly, London. I have a write up on my website with most of the info I have so far, here's the link:- http://wolf-e-boy.com/My-Ramus-Family-tree

If anyone knows anything of these characters, I'd love to hear it, especially if they know anything regarding my Great Grand Father, Henry Ramus, he was Sampsons business partner before he died from an abscess infection in 1911. Sampson enrolled Henrys sons at Brighton college after their dads death. I feel certain their is a connection between all of them, which I hope I am slowly unravelling. Brighton certainly had an intriguing history around the turn of the nineteenth to twentieth century.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Woolfeeboy.  Thanks for the greyhound info.

I wish you luck with your William Walker Sampson researches, but feel you have made a small error by lodging your interest on the Kentish part of the Rootschat website.  May I suggest you slightly reword your last two paragraphs above and then use them on the Sussex part of the Rootschat network to start a new topic, for there you may get far more responses that could assist you.   Good luck, and thanks again.   Regards Roy G