Author Topic: Lewisham (Lee) Daltons (D'Altons)  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lewisham (Lee) Daltons (D'Altons)
« on: Monday 25 February 13 06:02 GMT (UK) »
HI,  I am researching Oliver Dalton who documents state, was born in Lewisham in 1879.

I have the 1891 Sussex census showing what purports to be his mother Eliza(beth), by then the widow of the late Oliver D'Alton of Ireland.  With her are his four children, Oliver 1879, Thomas W 1885, Ellen 1887 & Elizabeth 1888, all born Lewisham (Lee).  There are back up birth registrations on FreeBMD for the last 3, but no birth registration for Oliver 1879, and unfortunately the two Olivers and their wife/mother do not appear on the 1881 census.  Given the gap between Oliver junior and his next sibling, I wish to verify that he shared the same father and mother as the others, but as stated, no local birth c1879 in the name of Oliver Dalton has been registered.   

When Oliver 1879 married, he did declare his father was Oliver (1831) a clerk (deceased) and a matching death has been found in Dieppe (1889), so my feelings are that Oliver senior may have gone or been in the employ of the steam packet company.

I would be most grateful if someone could look Oliver senior up in a Kellys street directory for Lewisham (1879-1888) to verify his period of residency, and if it is also possible, check to see if any of the children received a local (Catholic?) baptism in which both parents were named.  It may also help to know that Oliver's presumed sibling Thomas gave his 1885 birth address as Burnt Ash Road in Lee on the 1911 Brighton census.

Thanks for anything in advance.    Roy G

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lewisham (Lee) Daltons (D'Altons)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 February 13 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, in 1881 he is with both his parents at 13 Lee Road, High Street, Lee, Kent as Oliver Alton and his father is Oliver D Alton!

Cheers, Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 February 13 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jo,  The process of reaching the first answer was so simple, I just overlooked it. 
Now have to find a FreeBMD entry for his parents' marriage and Oliver junior's birth.  I am tempted to go for an un-named male child with the Dalton surname born St Savior Southwark, but don't seem to have any clues as to the parents' marriage, assuming there was one that is.  Roy G

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm - probably not, but:

March qtr 1876
Newcastle Upon Tyne district    vol 10b, page 225

Dalton, Oliver John
+ and on the same page +
Twizell, Elizabeth
Webb, Elizabeth
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Interesting! There is an Oliver D Alton born abt 1834, Ireland, 2nd class clerk, war office, living with his wife Mary S A Alton and two sons in Hammersmith in 1871. An 1874 marriage in Edmonton, Msx to a Caroline Elizabeth Gould or an unknown women?

Jo  :)
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Interesting! There is an Oliver D Alton born abt 1834, Ireland, 2nd class clerk, war office, living with his wife Mary S A Alton and two sons in Hammersmith in 1871. An 1874 marriage in Edmonton, Msx to a Caroline Elizabeth Gould or an unknown women?

Jo  :)

The "unknown woman" is Mary Ann Chambers, according to FreeBMD.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 February 13 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Maybe there is no marriage, if that is the same Oliver in 1871 in Hammersmith? The two sons: Oliver Cleveland D'Alton, born abt 1869 Hammersmith and his brother Henry Geary d'Alton born abt 1871 Hammersmith are both boarding at Heatherdean Lodge, Chipping Barnet, Herts in 1881 and a possible sighting of Mary Dalton, b1831 as a married visitor in Whippingham, Hampshire in 1881?
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 February 13 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Again, on the assumption that this is the same Oliver, in 1861 he is still in Hammersmith ( 3rd class clerk with war office), with his mother Catherine M Dalton, born abt 1801 in Portugal.
Sipthorpe - Lancashire

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 February 13 10:35 GMT (UK) »
The Irish Oliver (born c1831) is known to be the father of Oliver born 1879.   The 1881 census gives his mother as Eliza, but I had the Irish Oliver's wife as Mary Sydney Anne Geary (born Kent) who he married in Chelsea December ¼ 1861.  As you say, Mary appears on 1871 census as born 1831-1834 and I suspect but cannot prove, died Kensington 1878 aged 41-44.  If she did not die however, Oliver senior may have taken a common law wife who had his children. 

His last bequest made in Dieppe in 1889, named an Eliza Powell of 101 Freshfield Road Brighton as his executrix, and by 1891 his 4 children are living with their presumed mother, an Eliza Dalton (RG12 821 66 21) at 19 Clermont Road, Preston, Brighton.  I am now trying to decide if Eliza Powell and Eliza Dalton are the same person.

Roy G