Author Topic: Advice required  (Read 1291 times)

Offline GrahamTanner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Advice required
« on: Monday 06 June 05 00:12 BST (UK) »
I am starting out on my research into my family history, and I could do with some help, advice, and assistance. I have been informally collecting information since September 2004, but I have only really been trying to record and research for the past few months.

My family on my mother's side come from the Newport, Cross Keys, Abercarn, Pontywaun area, but prior to that she originate from Cornwall. My mother and all her brothers/sisters (my aunts/uncles) were all born between 1909 and 1927, but they are all now dead so I cannot ask  them questions. I have acquired most of their birth and death details from public sources via the Internet, and also copies of certificates.
I know _where_ they lived (Cross Keys) from about 1912 until (probably) the mid 1930s which is when they all moved to London.

I have a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate (1907), but prior to that it is very difficult to find then in the Census or Birth/Marriage/Death registers.

Just to make it difficult, my grandfathers surname was DAVIES, which is rather common in Wales!
The marriage certificate gives an address for my grandfather in Cwmcarn/Abercarn, but I cannot find that address in the 1901 Census. However I _can_ find a 'possible' location (in the 1901 Census) in another part of Abercarn. This is based upon the name of the Head of the family (matching that on the marriage cert.) and the matching name and age of my grandfather.

Is it the done thing to link these two locations together in this way? or is this too much of a coincidence?

My grandmother was originally from Cornwall. I can find a possible entry for the family in the 1901 Census, but sometime between then and 1907 she (or the whole family) had moved to Wales. Are there any records of people moving 'into' the area which I could check to find out if I have the right details?

I will almost certainly have some other requests very soon.
TANNER: Middlesex & Surrey
DAVIES: Monmouthshire
DILBEY: Surrey and N London (Islington)
GILBERT: N London (Islington) & Huntingdonshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 05 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham and welcome to the world of Rootschat sleuthing!

Sounds as though you have the right approach, there are certainly some deductions to be made and a few leaps of faith, but hopefully it all gets confirmed by birth certs etc eventually!

Start meticulous record keeping NOW!!  Write down everything you have tried, even if if was wrong, as it prevents unnecessary repetition further down the line.  Back everything up - twice!

Most importantly, be assured that we love a challenge (even with DAVIES  ;D ) so if you are stuck, just post everything you know about an individual and their family under look-up requests and off we will go!!  Results not guaranteed, but we have a jolly good go!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Siouxzie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • William Johnson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 05 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,
Not sure if these links will be any use to you; http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~monfamilies/Monmarrindex.html
which has marriages for some areas of Monmouthshire 1725 - 1812
Also there is a site Welsh Family History Archive, where you can post your surname interests and see if anybody else is researching yours. http://home.clara.net/wfha/wales/listfram.htm

Hope those both work for you.  Being as you are new to this, do you know about the IGI batch numbers site ?  I found a lot of my James ancestry in Monmouth by using this.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Good Luck
Siouxzie
Greenwich, London-BEARMAN/JOHNSON/GREENE Barking Essex-BEARMAN
Manchester- NEWALL/Newell or variants, LOLLEY/Lolly,WALL
Shropshire- WALL
Cheshire- MADDOCK/CARTER/PERCIVAL
Windsor, Berkshire - MILES
Buckinghamshire - MILES
Monmouthshire - JAMES & MORRIS
Herefordshire- FLEET
Yorkshire- SHIPLEY & GRAY
Sussex- EDWARDS & KNIGHT
Wiltshire/Hampshire-WATERS
Wolverhampton area Staffordshire- ASTON
Staffordshire- LOLLEY

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamTanner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the kind advice, I'm going to post some search requests for DAVIES.
TANNER: Middlesex & Surrey
DAVIES: Monmouthshire
DILBEY: Surrey and N London (Islington)
GILBERT: N London (Islington) & Huntingdonshire