Author Topic: searching for a gravesite  (Read 5870 times)

Offline hope1986

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
searching for a gravesite
« on: Wednesday 27 February 13 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, this is a bit of a long post so please bear with me.

I am trying to locate the gravesite of my grandmothers grandparents they were both from edenderry in county offaly  Joseph( joe) hughes died in 1955 and his wife Mary ellen(maire) died in 1953, my grandmother remembers being in a graveyard around a church possibly near or in in shinrone and being told that was her grandparents grave, there was no marker on the grave but she remembers a map of the graves being on the wall just inside the door of the church, in the porch i guess.Its possible that their daughter Mary ann(annie) who died in 1948 is also buried with them. I have been in touch with the parish office in endenderry and they weren't able to hellp me much, if someone recognized the graveyard and church my grandmother remembers that would be a great starting point.

Joseph and Mary ellen also lost a granddaughter in 1943 but seemingly after talking to our parish priest he reckons that baby would have just been buried with what ever adult had died around the same time in the local parish, has anyone ever heard of this before ?

thanks in advance
Duffy-Offaly, Duffy-Scotland, Kelly-wicklow, Lynam-Meath,Donnelly-cavan, Costello-Wicklow, Burke/Bourke-Wicklow, Hughes-Dublin, Creedon-Glasgow, Scollan-Glasgow