Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41590 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 07 March 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes.

When I first started to play the concertina, over thirty years ago, my mother said that there had been two squeeze-boxes, of different types, on the mantelpiece in her parents' house, when she was a child. She knew they had belonged to an uncle and  she thought that they had been returned to the family following his death in 1917, Ypres.

Then, some years ago, I posted a photograph of my great uncle for dating and other bits of information. I gave his full name. Some time later, I had a reply from a totally gobsmacked Rootschatter who had googled her grandfather's name and come across my post; because my great uncle and her granddfather were the same person.

We both play boxes for morris dancing.... my sister and both of my daughters also play.

Last summer we met and talked about him a great deal. It turns out that he joined the army as a musician. We're not absolutely sure of what he played in the army but the concertina and the melodeon had been his. So not only a musician but a box player!

It's definitely in the genes. :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 07 March 13 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Those are wonderful genes to have !    I hope the two little boys will also have them !!
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 07 March 13 17:12 GMT (UK) »
The tiny one was enjoying playing the maracas the other day, until he hit himself in the face.

His cousin loves to dance and sing :D

SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:34 GMT (UK) »
It's definitely in the genes
  I wish it was in my genes, my grandfather was an oboe player and musical director with the BBC, and his wife, my gran,  was a classically trained pianist.  Of their 6 children, one was a semi-professional pianist, (his daughter was a beautiful singer) and my dad without any training could play the piano, any tune he'd heard on the radio he could play.  Meanwhile I had about 10 years of piano lessons and barely got passed Grade 3 and of all our children, only my daughter can play the piano.  However, the musical genes have passed to her 13 year old daughter, who is at Grade 7 oboeoops flute, grade 6 drums, she also dances,sings and plays the piano - not both at the same time - oddly her brother can just about play the drums, can't sing, can't dance, and really hasn't a musical bone in his body.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 07 March 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Getting ahead of the calendar by about two hours:

Walter Scott Gould Barrett, my great-uncle, was born on 8th March 1868 in Rodborough, Gloucestershire. He emigrated with two of his brothers, Algernon Hurley Barrett and Douglas Graham Barrett. Coincidentally Douglas' sister-in-law, Mary Lydia Rheinfrank was also a March 8th baby, in New York in 1880. I know next to nothing more about Mary.

The brothers were involved in Barrett Brothers, a company in New York.

His obituary fills in so much detail:

MR BARRETT'S SAD DEATH

One of Our Young Businessmen Succumbs Today

DIES OF PERITONITIS

Sketch of a Life Which, Though Brief, Had Abundant Promise and Plenty of Sunshine

Walter S G Barrett, of firm of Barrett Bros. Co., whose illness has been mentioned in the Times-Press, died at Thrall Hospital, at 2 o'clock this morning, of peritonitis.
Mr Barrett was taken ill on Friday, 20th November and on Monday, 3rd December was removed to Thrall Hospital, where an operation was performed that day for appendicitis. The case was a very bad one, but he withstood the operation very well, and was getting along nicely until Sunday, when peritonitis developed and he failed rapidly until the end came this morning.
Walter Scott Gould Barrett was a son of the late William Parish Barrett, of Her Majesty's East India Company's Service, who resided in Cheltenham, England, and was born on 8th March, 1868 in England. He received his education at Cheltenham College, and came to the United States in 1887, going west, but a few months later he returned east, where he became engaged in business, and was, at the time of his death, the senior member of the firm of Barrett Bros. Co., manufacturers of preserves, etc., on West Main Street, this city.
Mr Barrett married the only daughter of the late Captain Francis Telfer, I.N., of London, England, and leaves her a widow with three young children.
Also surviving are four brothers and five sisters, all living in England, with the exception of Algernon H and Douglas G Barrett, residing in this city.
This death is a particularly sad one. Mr Barrett was an enterprising and alert young man, with keen business instincts, and was an expert in his line of trade - preserving fruits and the making of jellies. His goods of the first quality and admired by all who were ever used them. He had built up quite an extensive trade, selling to the large hotels and the institutions, the Pullman dining cars and the ocean liners and steamships. His trade had prospered, being founded upon merit, and he had taken several prizes at exhibitions of foodstuffs and confectionery, while the US government had set the seal of its approval upon his products as being absolutely pure. He was beginning to make money and build up a big trade, when he is suddenly cut down in the flower of his youth. It is indeed a cause of mourning, and the bereaved family and brothers have the sincere sympathy of all our people.
Personally, Mr Barrett was most affable and genial and won many friends by his frank and hearty manner. Everyone was glad to see him prosper and hoped that the full measure of success might be his.
He was a man of handsome physique, strong and athletic, and, before his illness, was the picture of health. He was never ill, and was a healthy, hearty, happy man.
He was a member of Grace Church, and there the funeral will be held on Friday afternoon.
Had Mr Barrett lived to carry out all of his ambitions suggested, we verily believe he would have become one of our leading citizens, and this fact renders still more sad and death in which the prop and support of the little family is taken away, business success interfered with and that the loved brother laid low.

Transcribed from a cutting from the Middletown Times-Press

An obit in the Cheltenham Looker-on:
Mr. Walter S. G. Barrett, whose death occurred at Middletown, U.S.A. on December 12th, and which we recorded last week, was a son of the late William Parish Barrett, of Her Majesty's East India Company's Service, who resided in Cheltenham, and was born on March 8th, 1868, England. He received his education at Cheltenham College. The Middletown Times-Press of December 12th contained an appreciative obituary notice from which we learn that  [..... quotes the US obit verbatim....] Mr. Walter Scott Gould Barrett, whose obituary we print above, entered as a pupil at Cheltenham College in 1877, under the Principalship of the Rev. Herbert Kynaston, D.D. He was a brother of Mrs. Cardew, wife of Mr. G. A. Cardew, M.R.C.S., of Cheltenham, Lieutenant-Colonel of the Royal Gloucestershire Engineers (Volunteers). [Editor, Looker-On.]
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 08 March 13 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Once again, mine has precious little detail but here we go anyway:

Yesterday, I mentioned Ralph Littlefair, who was born in 1709.

Today is his parents' wedding anniversary. In 1697, Ralph Littlefair married Sarah Kipling in Bowes. My 7  x great grandparents.

In 1750, James Martin was baptised in Belhelvie. A 5 x great grandfather.

1789, Elizabeth Bushby was baptised in Spennithorne. 5 x great-aunt.

1844, William Daniel born in Cruden, 3 x great-uncle.

Can I add tomorrow's as well, as I shan't be here to do it properly.

9th March 1841, Joseph Bushby died in Spennithorne, aged two years. 1st cousin x5

9th March 1974, Alice Lynn, nee Wright died in Redcar. She was the wife of a distant cousin.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 08 March 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I was born 60 years ago today  ;D ;D ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CV-S

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 08 March 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Happy Birthday Carol!!!  :) ;) ;D

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 08 March 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Happy Birthday To You!

I hope you are having a lovely day. :D