Author Topic: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.  (Read 41499 times)

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in MARCH ... our ancestral BMDs.
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
On 13th March 1903 my 3xG grandmother died in Airdrie. She was born in Scotland, though her parents were Irish. Her husband James Welsh was also Irish. There is a rumour known to several elder members of my family that one of our families were travellers. I think there is some truth in it and these could be the ones. I don't think however they were Romany, indeed I can trace James to a farming family in Ireland. But they do trundle up and down the UK with their increasing brood in tow and it's just possible this is where the rumour comes from and has got embroidered with time. James and Mary married in Stoke in 1861 and my 2xG grandmother Agnes was born during one of their jaunts to England.

Two I forgot from yesterday, there is a third but I haven't time to type it up and it could go on the 14th.

On March 12th 1864 my 3xG grandmother Agnes Weir died at Crofthead, Whitburn. She was at the time, the widow of my 3xG grandfather Robert Tweedie and was the daughter of James Weir and Grace Gardner.

On March 12th 1857 Martha Cudworth married James Marshall in St. Peter's in Leeds. The witnesses were James' father and Martha's sister, my 3xG grandmother Sarah.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
My favourite great aunt Lizzie (Elizabeth Williams) was born today in 1877, in Pear Tree Green, Sholing, Hampshire.   I heard about her when I was quite a young child, being ‘seen and not heard’ …. and listening in to adult conversation while I sat ‘reading’ quietly, with ears flapping !!   She’s the one who ‘was a naughty girl and ran away to Canada, but she made good as she married the mayor’.   Intriguing; so when 50 years after hearing this snippet I started on the FH, and found she emigrated to Canada in 1898 …. I assumed pregnant !    But no, (look at that wasp waist in the photo !)  She met and married George Walmsley Stubbs from Manchester who had gone to Canada aged 16 in 1888, with his two brothers .    They married in Carberry, Manitoba, in 1899, and returned to UK for a visit in the summer of 1900.   George was photographed then in an enormous bear skin coat, which according to my mother, made everyone laugh as the weather was so warm !   Hence, it was probably summer.   
Elizabeth and George travelled in a covered waggon for several years looking for land to buy, across the Canadian prairies and also in Montana in the US.   She gave birth to two sons during this period (in the waggon ?) and they finally bought land to farm on the Saskatchewan/Alberta border near Lloydminster.     Two daughters were born there.  They lived on the farm until the 1930’s when they sold up and moved to Kelowna in BC.  She did ‘marry the mayor’ …. for George acted as temporary mayor for several months before a new one was elected.    I never have discovered why she was ‘a naughty girl’, but it wasn’t as I had initially thought !
All through the war and into the 1950’s Elizabeth sent her sister, my grandmother, food parcels, and often included a little gift for me.  She died 20 years after George, in 1960 aged 81, and is buried in Westbank, Kelowna.    I found out a lot about her after discovering her obit. which my mother had used to line a drawer !    Shall I relate how Mum came to have the obit ?    Yes !
When mother lived in London, she had a friend who was going out to BC to visit family for three months, and while she was there, she happened to pick up a local paper and saw the obit !   She cut it out, and on her return, took it to my mother wondering if this was her aunt !   What a lucky co-incidence.    Elizabeths sister (my grandmother) had pre-deceased her, and presumably Elizabeths grand-children hadn’t a clue who she had been writing to for 60 years back in England …. but seeing their names listed on the obit. gave me the clue I needed to get started in tracing them, and I did, and later visited many of them in Canada. 

Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »

That's a great fur coat!   Could have done with that recently.   ;D
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 22:04 GMT (UK) »
What a story Lydart!  :D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I nearly forgot today, been busy with assisting OH with DIY and doing some research.

Thomas Boulton Benson my g.grandfather was born in Ulverston, Dalton, Lancashire.  He was the one who died on 12 March 1893.

Samuel Pemberton my 2 x g.g.uncle was born in Witton cum Twambrooks, Cheshire in  1820

Nancy Pemberton my 3 x g.g.aunt and the aunt of Samuel above, was baptised in Lower Peover, Cheshire in 1768

Abraham Hobson my 3 x g.g.uncle and his twin sister Sarah, my 3 x g.g.aunt were baptised at Almondbury Parish Church, Yorkshire in 1786

Richard Stanton my 7 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Morton by Bourne, Lincolnshire in 1672/3

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 14 March 13 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Twin 1st Cousins 4 x R George & William Burn b 14/3/1865 at Galashiels, sons of my 4g Aunt & Uncle John and Harriet Burn nee Easton.
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 14 March 13 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Born today in 1913 my aunt by marriage, Lilian Maud Atkins;  she married my uncle John Arthur James Barham in 1934 in Hoxton. They had 2 children and Lilian died aged just 40 in 1953. I have only very vague memories of her.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 15 March 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Oops, these are for yesterday 14 March, I missed the day by 20 minutes.  ::)

Edith Florence Cockett my g.aunt was born in Manchester in 1889.  More about her on 27 March.

Ann Harper my husband’s 4 x g.g.aunt was born in Spital Fields, Liverpool in  1786

Peggey Woodward my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Laurence Church, Frodsham in 1779

Alice Dawson (nee Crompton) my husband’s 2 x g.grandmother 1820 was baptised at Stand Lane New Jerusalemite Chapel, Pilkington, Lancashire.  She was 6 months old at the time of her baptism.

Charles Lenton Gilchrist my 1st cousin 4 times removed died in Scarborough, Yorkshire in 1865.  He was 39.  I don’t know the cause of his fairly young death, and he is too far distant an ancestor to get his death certificate.

Margaret Postlethwaite my 4 x g.g.aunt died in Barrow in Furness, Lancashire in 1838

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 15 March 13 08:39 GMT (UK) »
My 4xgt uncle Robert Kingsman was born in 1823 in London;  son of Edward and Susanna (nee Leviston). Robert was a pocket book maker; he married Emma Haynes at St Leonard, Shoreditch in 1844. So far I've found 10 children born to the couple, 3 died as infants but the others married and raised families.  Robert died in 1864.