Author Topic: Benjamin Hamilton  (Read 1404 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Benjamin Hamilton
« on: Friday 01 March 13 05:46 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking help from Ireland regarding Benjamin Hamilton, particularly his birth.

The information I have is that in 1827, he was convicted at Armagh for stealing cattle. As a result he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He was transported in 1828 on the Mangles. According to the Irish Convict website he was married with a child. It also states he was born in 1805.

Just where he was born and married, I have no idea, as I have not found out how to access that sort of information, and am hoping fellow Rootschatters can help.

Any information regarding his birth and marriage would be very gratefully received. Even negative information, ie no records exist would be accepted, so that I could cross that off the list.

A Chesters in Australia

Having just looked again at the information I have, He was born in Tyrone, not Armagh. Armagh is where he was convicted.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 13 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry, I'll move this post to Tyrone board for you.

There's usually more family detail for this period available in Australian records and I see that you previously posted on Australia board-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,574979.msg4272815.html#msg4272815
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, it was just that I realised after I had posted where the transportation records said he was born.

What I an trying to find, is there any way of finding his birth/baptism record, so that I have some idea of just when he was born, and his life in Ireland prior to his transportation.

AC

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 March 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
To find records of him in Ireland you'll need to have a location (and to find any surviving church records you need to know the family's religion). Unfortunately not many churches are likely to have records back to 1800.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 March 13 03:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information.

My big problem is that I have very little information about him here in Australia.

I have his transportation record, his "disposal", his certificate of freedom ,and his mariage certificate. He was married after all the children were born :o

I have a possibility for his death, but there are several it could be, so will require more searching before I can state just when he died. It is all very annoying.

Again thanks for your help.

AC

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 13 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Even if you're lucky enough to find a surviving baptism that matches, it doesn't sound like you have enough information to recognize if it's the right one. I'd focus on finding that death record.

You might also find more records about the crime and trial prior to his transportation.

You said he was married with a child before transportation and then you said he was married after his children were born? Did he leave the first wife behind in Ireland? Perhaps he waited to marry the mother of his Australian children because his first wife was still alive in Ireland?

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 03:49 GMT (UK) »
ansimi, I would like to find those court records, but am not sure just how to search for them.

I have the memory of searching, I can not remember where, and finding that the wife of his co-accused was trying to talk to the court. I cannot remember the details unfortunatly, but that is the only other reference I have seen to Benjamin in Ireland.

The Irish Convicts in Australia database is where I have the information about the wife and child in Ireland. I have to asume that he left her in Ireland, as he married a Catholic woman, and he was a Prodestant, according to the records. I have a copy of the marriage record in Sydney

If you have any idea how I would go at finding the court records I would be very grateful.