Author Topic: Unsticking Old Photos from Album  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Feliss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unsticking Old Photos from Album
« on: Friday 01 March 13 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I have an old photo album with black pages, the kind you stick the photos in with glue or use photo corners. Some of the photos date from the early 1900s and were, I think, either loose or stuck into the album with photo corners which subsequently came unstuck and disappeared. 

At some point during the 1970s, my mother (re)stuck most of them down with glue. Unfortunately there were no captions written in the album and my grandmother has died so we have no idea who most of the people are.

Some of the photos were not stuck in very well and either came unstuck themselves or I managed to prise them out to find that many have names, etc written on the back. Some even had messages, having been sent as postcards.

My dilemma is how to get the others out so I can see what's written on the back. I think it's probably a lost cause but I thought I'd ask in case some clever person has some tips I could try. Should I try a hairdryer?

Felicity

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Unsticking Old Photos from Album
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 13 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Felicity,

Don't use a hairdryer  :)

I gave some advice to another Chatter some time ago, who had a similar issue.  Have a read and see if it answers your questions: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,539537.0.html

If not, come back and ask some more  ;)

Prue