Author Topic: Swain/Jones  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Joolz46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Swain/Jones
« on: Friday 08 March 13 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am trying to find a marriage for David Henry Jackson Swain DOB 1853 father William to Sarah Jane Jones DOB 1856 Wellington Salop Shropshire father James Jones. I have them on 1881 Census in C on M and son Henry Jackson Swain was born 1881 C on M. Gives mother as Jane Jones with name at birth Jones.
Jane Jones is living with parents on 1871 census in Shropshire but has passed away before 1891 Census as David is a widow with his son aged 10. I have been looking for a marriage for many years and tried all different ways with his name but to no avail. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Swain/Jones
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I have them on 1881 Census in C on M and son Henry Jackson Swain was born 1881 C on M.

Do you mean Chorlton on Medlock Lancashire?  I did not recognise this type of abbreviation until I looked up Henry's birth on freebmd and saw it was registered in Chorlton

I notice that David was also born Chorlton

I can't see an 1881 entry - are they mis-transcribed? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Joolz46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you for replying Im new and was a little unsure if Id posted correctly.

Sorry as a Mancunian Im used to abbreviating Chorlton on Medlock.

Yes they were on the 1881 census as Henry and Sarah Swailes correct occupation etc at Clowes Ct but Henry (child) wasn't born by then. Is really strange though as it isn't mistranscribed the oringal record says this ? I know it is them as it is also the address on Henrys birth certificate.

I even tried looking for a marriage in that name too. I have been looking for a number of years and Im beginning to wonder if they were actually married. David was on 1891 census described as a Widower though. Many thanks for taking time to get back to me.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
No problem - I can't find any likely marriage. 

Sarah died 1888 Chorlton as Sarah Swain
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Joolz46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol

I thought thought it was 1888 that Sarah had died but I didn't have a death cert to prove it.

Its a complete mystery about the marriage but thank you for trying.....I expect it may be mis transcribed too or the lived over the brush lol

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Son Henry was baptised 26.10.1881 at St Luke's Chorlton - born 3.5.1881

They were living at 15 Robert St at that time

Doesn't help to find their marriage though!!

Offline Joolz46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 13 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I know Carol I have every bit of info except the marriage. I have even scrolled through the records at the BMD in Manchester and looked at the archives on microfiche....but I have just looked at Sarahs death again on Ancestry and it didn't have the burial record (Christ Church) last time I looked just the bmd death index. I looked for a marriage at St Lukes as Henry was bapts there but I might try the records for Christ Church when I next get into town. There you go you have given me a nudge in the right direction lol thank you :)