Author Topic: Baptist Chapel Fairground, Wakefield  (Read 740 times)

Offline jeanffrench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baptist Chapel Fairground, Wakefield
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 05:06 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors married at the "Baptist Chapel Fair Ground, Wakefield" on 31 Jan 1870, according to the "rites and ceremonies of the Baptists by certificate by me Henry Hardin Minister". John Whitaker, Registrar, was a witness in addition to the friend and relative of the couple. The groom's sister married at the same place, ie the "Baptist Chapel Fair Ground, Wakefield", on 10 Jun 1867.

I  see an entry in the "Yorkshire Returns of the 1851 Census of Religious Worship" online for the "Baptist Chapel, Top of Fairground, Wakefield. erected 1844."  On the other hand, the Wikipedia entry for Wakefield says "the Baptists opened a chapel in George Street in 1844."  White's 1837 Directory for Yorkshire West Riding says that "the Fair Ground, where the fortnight Cattle fairs are held, is a spacious area on the west side of Wakefield."

My questions follow.  Is the Fairground the same place as the Baptist Chapel in George Street, and did the Baptists continue to use the old name for the location of their Chapel? If not, why were couples being married at the Fairground as late as 1870, when there must have been a Chapel where the ceremony could be held? Can anyone point to the location of the Fairground on a modern map, if it is not the same place as the Baptist Chapel in George St.

Many thanks, Jean
Clarson, Clampett

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptist Chapel Fairground, Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 March 13 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I don't think this is much help but a list of non conformist places and some history of Wakefield Baptists which suggest George Street and Quebec Street - from Wakefield FHS

http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/non-conformist.htm
http://www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk/Baptists.htm

Also from Wakefield Baptist Chapel website http://www.wakefieldbaptistchurch.co.uk/index.php?ids=23x23x23x23xdx220126xkxnxx

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
At last found a mention of the baptist chapel in Fair Ground Road erected 1844 http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~petyt/wak1888.htm

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline jeanffrench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that find.  As the Baptist Chapel in George St was opened in 1844, I am guessing that Fair Ground Road and George St must have been streets adjoining the same chapel.  There is a postcard online of the "Cattle Market, Wakefield", ie the Fairground.  In the background is the "Cattle Market Hotel".  Elsewhere online the address of this hotel was 62 George St.  So Fairground Road was either another way of describing George St, or it was parallel to George St.
Clarson, Clampett