Author Topic: a understanding wife  (Read 1372 times)

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
a understanding wife
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 17:02 GMT (UK) »
Whilst at the library today trying to knock down the od brickwall, I came across this entry on the 1881 census that concerned a relation of mine, he and his wife were "boarders" with a widow and her teenage daughter, well my relation took a bit of a fancy to his landlady, and she had a child by him,  his wife stayed and they brought the child up as her own, and just to rub salt in the wounds he did it again, and still his wife stayed, makes you wonder what Jerrmy kyle would have made of that :o :o :o :o
       dafpilot
hants, hart, hornsby, wilson, west.skinner
dorset, wilson.
guernsey, hart, butt, roper, de cateret, le mesuirer.
london, harris, west, butt, hornsby.
england in general, scammel
australia, butt. sainsbury hants, kent, sawyer, perry, cook,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: a understanding wife
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmmmm!

In lieu of rent?! ;D :o ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 17:41 GMT (UK) »
I suppose the wife wouldn't have had a lot of choice as she probably wouldn't have been able to support herself if she'd walked away from him. There was probably the temptation to stick something in his tea though!  ;)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 17:56 GMT (UK) »
My g.aunt who married a Mr C couldn't have children so adopted a son - that information came from my mum when I was much younger.  So I decided to find my g.aunt on the 1911 census with her husband and found the child too, but his surname name was given as C-M.   So with this information I looked up his birth and got his birth certificate.  It turns out that he was born 2 doors away from where my g.aunt and husband lived and his birth mother had called him C(Christian name) C (Mr C's name) M (his birth mother's surname).  So it looks like my g.aunt took in her husband's child and brought him up as her own.

Interestingly on his marriage certificate in 1935 the son didn't name a father, although the address he gave was the same one as where his adoptive mother had died 2 years earlier.  However he was the informant of his father's death in 1958 and called himself CCM adopted son.

There was no reason for my g.aunt to stay with her husband, although she couldn't have gone to her brother (my grandfather as he was married with too many children), she did have another sister who remained childless throughout her marriage.  I think people just stayed in marriages in those days especially as they didn't want the neighbours to know anything was wrong.

Modified - My g.aunt was a dressmaker so she had a trade and could have made a living for herself.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Whilst at the library today trying to knock down the od brickwall, I came across this entry on the 1881 census that concerned a relation of mine, he and his wife were "boarders" with a widow and her teenage daughter, well my relation took a bit of a fancy to his landlady, and she had a child by him,  his wife stayed and they brought the child up as her own, and just to rub salt in the wounds he did it again, and still his wife stayed, makes you wonder what Jerrmy kyle would have made of that :o :o :o :o
       dafpilot

Did you see J Kyle with Ant and Dec last week just great
I suppose in those days around 1881 women would put up with those sort of things would'nt they  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Did you see J Kyle with Ant and Dec last week just great  - No, do tell.

Offline dafpilot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Whilst at the library today trying to knock down the odd brickwall, I came across this entry on the 1881 census that concerned a relation of mine, he and his wife were "boarders" with a widow and her teenage daughter, well my relation took a bit of a fancy to his landlady, and she had a child by him,  his wife stayed and they brought the child up as her own, and just to rub salt in the wounds he did it again, and still his wife stayed, makes you wonder what Jerrmy kyle would have made of that :o :o :o :o
       dafpilot
just gone a bit deeper and it gets worse, he had three children with the landlady, the first was only born 3 months before his first child with his wife, he then went onto have the next 2 years later and then the next 2 years later again, then he had 3 more children with his wife, and he even movec the landlady and her own child from her dead husband eo within a couple of mile from where he was living with his wife and kids :o :o :o, I think he is going on the "blacksheep list"
dafpilot
hants, hart, hornsby, wilson, west.skinner
dorset, wilson.
guernsey, hart, butt, roper, de cateret, le mesuirer.
london, harris, west, butt, hornsby.
england in general, scammel
australia, butt. sainsbury hants, kent, sawyer, perry, cook,

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Did you see J Kyle with Ant and Dec last week just great  - No, do tell.
[/quote

I think you can Google it its on You tube
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth