Author Topic: 1851 census for James Mumford, please?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1851 census for James Mumford, please?
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 19:33 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to compile information about my ancestor.  At the moment, I cannot locate my printout of the 1851 Essex census for James Mumford.  I don't know that he was ever found in 1851.  May I ask, please, if someone might be able to help me find him (again?)?

James was born October 26, 1826, Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex.  He was not living with his parents, James and Martha, in 1851.  He may have been in Dunchurch, Warwickshire in 1841, but I cannot confirm that it was him (there were too many James Mumfords around that time).  ;)

James Mumford's occupation in 1857 was butcher and his father had the same occupation.  His parents were living in Fyfield, Essex in 1851.  James was in Canada by 1857.  Thank you for any assistance.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 census for James Mumford, please?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Was James married before 1851 as there is no match to the birthplace given but there are 2 entries - one b 1826 Stratford Essex and married to Sarah and another b Stansted 1828 - farm labourer

There are very few Mumford entries b Essex in his birthyear range
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW:

Thank you so much for your help.

According to the copy of the Register of Marriages, he claimed he was a bachelor in 1857, when he married Susannah Vaus.

According to research done previously, there were at least two other James Mumfords born around 1826, in Essex, so finding my James has been difficult.

If I might ask if you or another kind person might be able to search for a James Munford, perhaps he might be found under this spelling?  I do appreciate that you looked for him; thank you.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I didn't search using his surname - I searched on James b 1826 +-2yrs birthplace Essex and only 2 James Mumford's showed up

I also searched on Mu*ford with the same criteria as above - same 2 Jame's were the only ones showing up
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking for variations.  (You're one or more steps ahead of me.)   ;)

Perhaps he wasn't recorded, perhaps he was recorded and the page is not legible, or there might be two other options.

(Whom we believe to be James' uncle) Charles Mumford sailed to Ontario, Canada in 1848 and remained there.  James Mumford sailed in 1857 and remained in Toronto, Canada after 1857.  I suppose there is a chance that James sailed prior to 1857, and possibly prior to 1851, which would explain why we haven't found him in 1851.  Maybe he returned to England at some point, then made his final voyage in 1857?

Also, I have numerous documents showing his name as James Mumford.  However, on the 1871 Ontario census, he is shown as Joseph Mumford.  Perhaps his actual name was Joseph James, or James Joseph, and he is shown on the 1851 census as Joseph?  It's a stretch, but it is one tiny option.

I really appreciate your help, CaroleW.  I have been searching (on and off) for decades for information about my ancestor.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I've just searched on Jos** b Essex 1826 +-2yrs but nothing looking like Mumford or variations shows up - sorry :-[ :-[

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, CaroleW, for looking for a Joseph.

While I am fairly positive (99%) that I know who my James' parents were, finding James in 1851 might absolutely prove or possibly disprove my findings.  I have quite a bit of information about James and his parents and siblings; the 1851 census is the last record that I don't have.

Again, thank you for looking.   :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 13 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Did you find this one?

1851 Census, Stansted, Hertfordshire.

Household of William Parris Farmer.

William Parris head, 66, Farmer, born Hatfield, Essex.
Marry Parris wife, 63, born Cambridge.
Caroline Parris daug, born Stansted, Essex, age looked like 51 but is it 21.
John Parris nephew, 25, Farmer, born Farnham, Essex.
George Patmore, 23, Ag Lab, born Stansted, Essex.
James Mumford, 23, Ag Lab, born Stansted, Essex.
Susan Franklin, 25, Servant, Dairy Maid, born Elsenham, Essex.

Abode Hatfield Hall Farm, Stansted, Hertford.

Ref H.O. 107 1706 page 184

PS Bear in mind the Censuses were often not 100% accurate with ages and birthplaces.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 March 13 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Findem

See my first reply above

but there are 2 entries - one b 1826 Stratford Essex and married to Sarah and another b Stansted 1828 - farm labourer