Author Topic: MCMILLAN: Was He in Canada?  (Read 3477 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
MCMILLAN: Was He in Canada?
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My great uncle, George MCMILLAN (1857 - 1930) was a fascinating fellow. He left his family farm in Argyll, Scotland and married in Glasgow, then migrated south to Northamptonshire, England all in 1893. The couple had 7 children there. George's wife died in 1901 having the last baby. George hired a local girl as housekeeper and married her late that same year. The first of their 5 children arrived early in 1902. George packed up his large family and took them to Liverpool. Then George left for North America, leaving them behind, as his wife was expecting his 12th child, intending to send for them later. This was 1907/08. He was reportedly headed for Canada. I have not been able to locate him in Canada on any records. If he was in Canada, he didn't like it there because he ended up in Wyoming, USA. The census of 1930 says he arrived in 1912, which begs the question: where was he between 1907/08 and 1912? If he was in Canada, as I'm told, I would guess western Canada, but I'm not positive. Wondering if someone with fresh eyes can spot him in Canada? Thank you!
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MCMILLAN: Was He in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Did he bring his entire family over? Can you tell us his 2nd wife's name?

Are you sure he left in 1907/8? If he had his first child with his 2nd wife in 1902, it seems  to me the spacing of 5 children between then and when he reportedly left is very close spacing?

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi PB,
His last child was Alice MCMILLAN born in 1908 after her father left. She never saw him. Yes, they had William, Percy, Annie, Richard and Alice in that time frame (1902 - 1908). I myself had 5 children in 6 years, but granted 2 were twins! No, they never did join him. We really don't know why. Possibly, things didn't work out in Canada (if he really was here) so he started up again in Wyoming and then WW1 got in the way and interfered with civilian travel. In 1920, his eldest son, by his first wife, George MCMILLAN Jr., came to Wyoming to join his father. That is the only one of his children who ever saw their father after he left England. His second wife was Jane Ann STRICKSON. I don't know if she was very well either. She died in 1924 and she was only 50 years old. Odd but fascinating story. I'm just trying to fill in the rest. :)
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
That is quite the story! How sad for the family left behind.

Haven't had  any luck finding George in Canada.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I've found George on the 1920 US census in Johnson County, Wyoming listed as G.H. McMillan:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MNBV-7VF

His year of immigration is listed as 1909 although that doesn't necessarily mean the year he arrived in the US.

So far I haven't had any luck finding him in Canada.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,
Hmmm I think this must be him (I believe his full name was George Hamilton MCMILLAN). Of course, each answer comes with a new set of questions. He wasn't widowed (yet) as his wife back in England lived on for 4 more years. Where is his son, George MCMILLAN Jr.? George Jr. arrived in the USA aboard the 'Baltic' in January, 1920 to join his father in Wyoming and did so. Still no Mr. NERSH ... the name of the person George Sr. was supposedly staying with or working for in WY when George Jr. arrived in USA. Maybe George never went to Canada. This living arrangement in 1920 seems to suggest that George Sr. was living in employee accommodations so maybe had no place to keep a wife and lots of children. Could be that George Jr. couldn't find a bed where his father was working either. Interesting man ... he never fails to fascinate me. Thanks!
Mary

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Wonder if this is George H McMillan ?

FIND A GRAVE

Burial: Willow Grove Cemetery  Buffalo Johnson County Wyoming.
Plot: Block 9 Lot 5 Space 4

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t51/ 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Found young George McMillan born 1896 living in Liverpool with step-mother and siblings in 1911. Interestingly that lead me to a marriage for Alice McMillan born 1908 - 8b 193 and then her marriage to Geffrey A Steening at Hendon September 1929. Alice was naturalized in Seattle Washington 30 Oct 1956.
Washington Marriages show Alice Stenning to E T Warden in Snohomish Washington 1981. Alice McMillan/Stenning/Warden born 8 March 1908 died 2 June 2005.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t51/

http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/69B69D6DC0210F8EF84491BADC9038CA
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 March 13 17:03 GMT (UK) »
The 1935 passenger list for the Stenning family lead to a daughter Mary Rose Stenning.
Obituary for - Mary Rose Jepsky - January 8, 1934 - November 6, 2006 (beautiful photographs)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0t52/

Sandra