Author Topic: A Mystery  (Read 4990 times)

Offline mergendy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Mystery
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, first-time caller and all that :)

I've recently got back into researching my family history after a long "break", which was partly necessitated by coming up against a brick wall on my father's side of the family. It concerns the identity of my 8th great-grandparent (which is to say I know the names of the other seven).

The problems here are many, at least to my beginner's mind:

My name is Jones, as is my father's, but he took his mother's name, as he seems to have been, in that charming Olde Worlde phrase, born on the wrong side of the blanket, just before the First World War.

I know my great-grandmother's name (Winifred Jones), my grandfather (Maxwell Jones)'s birthdate and birthplace (47 Walton Breck Road, Liverpool, 27/1/1913), but details such as father's name, mother's DOB and other such basic info seems to have been left off my grandfather's birth certificate. My grandfather never talked much about his parents, but the oral history, such as it is, is that his mother, Winifred, was a "servant in a big house in Wiltshire" (possibly Worton) and after falling pregnant (by the master of the house?) went up to Liverpool to have the baby...she then returned to Wiltshire and married Lot Ellis, and together they gave my grandad a half-brother, Edward, who I believe went on to be a big noise in the Navy or something along those lines. Thus I imagine the Ellis line is fairly easy traceable, whereas my own male lineage (my father's father's father's etc. etc. father), at least for me, remains a tricky puzzle to unravel...

Right, that's about it! Would be grateful for any tips on where to go next...Winifred's employment records? The address in Liverpool? etc. The maddening thing is that I can't even pin Winifred down with any certainty in any census, as I have no birthdate...

Advice please!

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

When Winifred married Lot Ellis, her age should have been written on the wedding cert, and also her father's name and occupation.  do you have the cert?

It probably won't be easy tracing the father of Maxwell, but that's an unusual name and may provide a clue.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
Mawell Jones b 1913 Liverpool - mothers maiden name Jones....
on freebmd he is registered
Maxwell F Jones .....do you know what the F stands for ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline mergendy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

When Winifred married Lot Ellis, her age should have been written on the wedding cert, and also her father's name and occupation.  do you have the cert?

It probably won't be easy tracing the father of Maxwell, but that's an unusual name and may provide a clue.

Hi there, and thanks for your reply. I'm afraid Winifred's birth certificate would be on the "other side" of the family (the legitimate side!), in other words in would probably be with Edward and his branch of the family, with whom I'm not sure we've had recent, or indeed any, contact...I suppose it's something I can try to dig up in future if nothing else comes of my efforts...

The rub here is that, like many males I imagine, I'm interested in tracing back the male line as far as I can, but my brick wall appears far earlier than most people's...is there a more exact word for the concept of one's father's father's father's etc. ad infinitum?

Offline mergendy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hiya
Mawell Jones b 1913 Liverpool - mothers maiden name Jones....
on freebmd he is registered
Maxwell F Jones .....do you know what the F stands for ?
allan

Ah OK...I've not really got into BMD yet, as I can't quite get the angle on its usages...this will come I'm sure...!

The F stands for Francis, and this TY stands for Thank You! :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
What year did Winifred Jones marry Lot Ellis ....I can`t find a marriage ?
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:41 GMT (UK) »
No, I meant the wedding cert for Winifred, not her birth cert.  You should find that on Freebmd - you will have to order a copy from GRO (easiest) or the local Wiltshire Register Office (Swindon, maybe).  It will cost you about £9 - £10, depending how you order it.

It's well worth getting this certs, as it should give you her age, occupation, maiden name, address, father's name and occupation and same for the groom.  You will also see who were the witnesses to the wedding, which can sometimes help (if they were family members etc)

Freebmd is www.freebmd.org.uk ----Added: Garstonite is probably looking here right now!
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline mergendy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
What year did Winifred Jones marry Lot Ellis ....I can`t find a marriage ?
allan

Hi again Allan...good question! This is one of the things I lack I'm afraid...I can check with my Dad when I speak to him later today, but I rather think that the "other side" of the family records aren't known to us...my Dad has his Dad's birth certificate, but the wedding certificate for Lot and Winifred is probably (as I said above, but erroneously called it a birth certificate!) with the Ellises and / or their descendants...I'm not even 100% sure they did get married, but let's say at least 95% sure! I know this doesn't help, but welcome to my mystery!  :-\

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hate to put a damper on marriage certs. My grand father married 3x and each cert had a different Christian name and a different occupation so do beware our relies didnot always tell the truth.
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert