Author Topic: Edward Tierney  (Read 3877 times)

Offline bobcollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Tierney
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate the place of birth of my wife's maternal great grandfather Edward Tierney.

We know that he married an Alice O'Loughlin in Newtownards, Co.Down, in 1870, but don't think he was from there. At the time of his marriage, he was a policeman. My wife thinks there was a rule that members of the Royal Irish Constabulary couldn't be stationed in their own county. She remembers her mother thinking that that line of her family came from Co,Cavan but I've found nothing there in my searches so far.

Any ideas of where I might find a clue?

Thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Tierney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
What was his father's name and occupation on marriage certificate?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 13 12:51 GMT (UK) »
The fathers' names were William Tierney and Stephen O'Loughlin.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 17:58 GMT (UK) »
It is correct that RIC staff were not normally posted to the county where they were born or had family. They also had to have served for 7 years before permission could be given to marry.

The RIC recruitment records normally contain details of the county where each person came from. You can usually refine that a bit further from the name of the Inspector who recruited them. By looking to see where he was stationed at the time in question you can often narrow the search area to a specific part of that county.

Copies of old RIC records are kept in several locations. One is the PSNI museum in Belfast who will look up records for you. There is a fee.

http://www.psni.police.uk/index/about-us/police_museum/museum_genealogy.htm
Elwyn

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I had difficulties immediately, The RIC are sometimes listed under villages and towns in Street directories but I could find no proof that Edward was in the RIC so I continued ending up trying ancestryireland.com where various Edward Tierney are listed as the father in Co Down of  various Tierney, and once I had acquired possible childrens names after 1870, I then checked familysearch.com which confirmed both parents names in every case except the last ie William 1887.
This produced this list which shows the children being born in different counties
Eg Catherine Mary Tierney b 1871
She is Kate Mary in familysearch.com b 17 May 1871 birthplace Newtownards, Co Down, Ire with right parents
Eg Edward b 1872    
He is Edward and is definite same family in familysearch.com 26 Dec 1872 birthplace given as Ireland
Eg Thomas 1875 
He is Thomas and is definite same family in familysearch.com 23 May 1875 birthplace Belfast, Co Antrim, Ireland
but could be also the Thomas A Tierney described as Stepson living at 1 William Street Newtownards with McCall and Maxwell in 1901 census
Eg James William 1880
He is James William and is definite same family in familysearch.com 29 Jun 1880 birthplace Holywood, Down, Ireland
Eg William 1887 I couldn’t find him in Ireland. There was a William Grant Tierney b Toxteth Park, Liverpool in qtr ending June.

But by the census of 1901 and 1911 they have all disappeared except for possibly for Thomas. Did they move to England ? or emigrate ? or what
Ros Davies Co Down website gives some interesting entries for Edward Tierney and other newtownards Tierney. Who was Alexander or John Tierney, a brother, the father or no relative atall. A much earlier Francis of 1812 is mentioned.
Also in her surname index is
a Miss Kate Julia O'Loughlin   . Newtownards wife of Robert Francis Magee ; mother of Ellen Mary b. 1869 & Robert Joseph b. 1871 & Kate b. 1873   CR . Could this be a sister of Alice josephine

Looking at another good source www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation
The nearest I could find to a O’Loughlin in Co Cavan was just one Francis Loughlin. I also found a Stephen O'Loughlin living in Co Clare
So sorry I couldn't trace what you wanted, but hoping some of this is useful information
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline bobcollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your replies. That's given me some names to follow up on. Much appreciated.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 13 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Eg William 1887 I couldn’t find him in Ireland. There was a William Grant Tierney b Toxteth Park, Liverpool in qtr ending June.

This William you can rule out as he is on the 1891 census with his parents Patrick and Mary Ann in Liverpool
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile