Author Topic: Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.  (Read 5847 times)

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I have just found something that could mean a spanner in the works regarding this part of my family history! Allow me to explain.

My 4x gt grandfather Thomas Parker married Martha Graham in Bedlington St Cuthbert's on 16th June 1821. This info i found on familysearch/IGI a while back & i believe to be correct as the name Graham appears as a middle name for one of their grandsons. However, i've just looked on Freereg & it shows a Thomas Parks married Martha Graham on the same date! Which is right?? If it's Parks, then that's a fairly major spanner in the works! :( ::) Could sks check the parish records for me? I would be ever so grateful & hope & pray that it is in fact Parker!!

Also i know of 4 children to the marriage:

Mary b 1822
Ann b 1825/26
Isabella b 25th June 1827 (my 3x gt grandmother)
Thomas b 1831/32

All born Bedlington. Isabella's birth date comes from a family tree that an uncle of my late maternal grandmother's did about 35-40 years ago. The same tree shows Isabella's place of birth as Bedlington Ironworks. What his source(s) were i don't know.

Could sks also look up these baptisms & also see if there are any other siblings baptisms?

I have not been able to find any Bedlington parish records online anywhere, so any help with this would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedlington Parish Records Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
i don't have access to the registers but I would make two points

1. The letters "er" at the end of a name can easily be read as an "s" in poor writing
2. There was a previous transcription of the marriages of Bedlington done by "George Bell". I wonder if this transcript was used to do the freereg transcriptions. You can see the George Bell transcript at

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/Transcriptions/NBL/MBED.html

I would not give up hope that ypu have it right, but you do need to see the original register (not the bishops transcript or any transcription) and maybe also the baptism of the children. Hopefully someone will be able to look it up for you
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi davidft,

Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Hmmm, you could be right about the George Bell transcription, many thanks for the link to it!

I'm fairly confident that i have the marriage right, but as you say, i need to see the original & i won't be entirely happy until i've seen the original entry!

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 13 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I cant help with a look-up but it looks to me it is a transcription error , I agree er could be mistaken for an s.

1861 Census Martha Parker is born c 1796 Whitby, Yorkshire;

Martha GRAHAM Christened 24 July 1796, Whitby, Yorkshire
Parents WILLIAM/JANE
(Birth 30 June 1796)
SIBLINGS, Christened same day;
JOHN ( Birth 19 July 1789)
MARGARET (Birth 11 Sept 1791)
WILLIAM (Birth 19 April 1794)
EARLIER Siblings;
JAMES 25 May 1781 (Birth same day), may have died
JANE 12 Sept 1784 (Birth 21 Aug 1784)
JAMES 19 Nov 1786 (Birth 28 Oct 1786)
Last 2 have name as Grayham

Source Familysearch.Org

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 13 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Free Reg entry, it appears to have been transcribed from the register as there is no suffix to the Church name. If it were transcribed from a previous transcription then the Church name field would have an Ex suffix, if it were from the Bishops Transcripts then the suffix would would be BT.

It is possible that its been mistranscribed, endings of words are much more likely to be scribbled in my  (limited) experience, but also bear in mind that it may be the right people, but the original entry could have an error.

If it turns out to be a mistranscription in Free Reg then you can mail and ask for it to be reviewed and corrected.

Boo

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Free Reg entry, it appears to have been transcribed from the register as there is no suffix to the Church name. If it were transcribed from a previous transcription then the Church name field would have an Ex suffix, if it were from the Bishops Transcripts then the suffix would would be BT.

It is possible that its been mistranscribed, endings of words are much more likely to be scribbled in my  (limited) experience, but also bear in mind that it may be the right people, but the original entry could have an error.

If it turns out to be a mistranscription in Free Reg then you can mail and ask for it to be reviewed and corrected.

Boo

I do wonder about that as i can find two tanscriptions online by G Bell described in one way or another as "original indexes"

Author: Bell, G
 Name Added Entry: Yellowley, C
 Title Statement: BEDLINGTON : CMB(I) 1813-39 [Microfiche.]
 Published: Wideopen : Original Indexes, 2003
 Description: 2 fiche
 Subject: NORTHUMBERLAND - REGISTERS
 Subject: Bedlington, Northumberland

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I do wonder about that as i can find two tanscriptions online by G Bell described in one way or another as "original indexes"

Author: Bell, G
 Name Added Entry: Yellowley, C
 Title Statement: BEDLINGTON : CMB(I) 1813-39 [Microfiche.]
 Published: Wideopen : Original Indexes, 2003
 Description: 2 fiche
 Subject: NORTHUMBERLAND - REGISTERS
 Subject: Bedlington, Northumberland

'Original Indexes' was actually the name of the company set up by George Bell in order to publish his transcriptions and other genealogical material.
Now all available as part of 'Ancestral Indexes' via the NDFHS http://www.ancestral-indexes.co.uk/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 March 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »

'Original Indexes' was actually the name of the company set up by George Bell in order to publish his transcriptions and other genealogical material.
Now all available as part of 'Ancestral Indexes' via the NDFHS http://www.ancestral-indexes.co.uk/

LOL. Yes you have found the other source I had found. I am aware "original indexes" was a company name but the point I was trying to make is people could take it at face value.

I do wonder where "George Bell" originally transcribed her records from, was it original parish registers or bishops transcripts as differences can occur between the two as many of us have found out from first hand experience

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 March 13 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies, very much appreciated.

Trish, thanks for that info, already have the christenings that you posted, plus an earlier brother William b 8th Nov 1778 & baptised 13th Dec 1778. Took me a while to find as on the 1851 & 71 censuses (if i remember correctly!) Martha gave place of birth as Hull! Never could find anything in Hull for her, then finally find her in 1861 and as you posted she stated place of birth as Whitby & i found her baptism straight away. Unfortunately i have lost the census returns for both Thomas & Martha, due to a memory stick dying on me! :'( Thomas died in 1879 in Newcastle & Martha in 1873 also in Newcastle, although the age in the index (82) is wrong as she was 77 at death.)

Tickettyboo, Davidft & JenB, many thanks for your input, all very much appreciated, i'm beginning to feel a little more comfortable with the marriage record now. I believe like you that it's a mistranscription!

Many thanks again.

Kind regards

David