Author Topic: Can anyone find Clara Elizabeth (Clarissa) Tann after 1861 please?  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone find Clara Elizabeth (Clarissa) Tann after 1861 please?
« on: Wednesday 13 March 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Clara Elizabeth Tann was born in Bawburgh in the last quarter of 1841 and baptised in November that year,the daughter of John Tann, wheelwright and carpenter and Hannah Maria , shoe binder. 
She is on the 1851 census in Norwich St Julian where the name is mistranscribed Clara Jann and again in 1861 where she is described as a dressmaker and her name is given as Clarissa, both times with her parents and siblings.
After this  she disappears. Her father has died by 1871 and her mother and youngest sister are together in St Julian. I've tried census records, and free BMD and cannot find her anywhere despite trying various name combinations, since the family seem to have a habit of swapping middle names for first names or using diminutives.
I'm puzzled, can anyone help?  ???
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Clara Elizabeth (Clarissa) Tann after 1861 please?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 10:40 GMT (UK) »
did she marry? There's a possible marriage for a Clara Tann June qtr 1870 in Essex to either Nathaneal Joseph Cutting or James Dowler, vol 4a page 24.

Will see if I can find on census.

best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 12:49 GMT (UK) »
nathaniel joseph cutting and clara are together in 1871
unfortunately she is not yours this clara was born in c1850 in essex
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking. I don't know if she married or not. There are no records  for her in Norfolk on free BMD but she may have left the area. I'm surprised that I can't find either a marriage or a death. I did try checking on Freecen for anyone born in Bawburgh but there is no one of the right age or name. (though Bawburgh would have easily been misspelled and she may just have said Norwich since it's only 5 miles away)
She wasn't a witness for her sister's wedding in 1873 so may have died or moved away by then
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage between Elizabeth Tann and William Coan in Henstead, Norfolk 1863 1st 1/4
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 16:44 GMT (UK) »
that elizabeth tann who marries william coan is down on 1871,1881,1891,1901 as being born in hethersett and she appears on the 1861 census in henstead down as a servant
so seeing as yor clara tann is with her parents in 1861
again this one is not yours
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 March 13 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your help. I think I've exhausted all avenues of enquiry for Clara Elizabeth. She doesn't seem to be on the 1891 census as born in Bawburgh. I did trawl through in case she'd claimed to be born in Norwich, but there were very few of the right age (50 though I checked a few older or younger).
Her marriage or death are not recorded on Freereg or FreeBMD I'm beginning to wonder if she simply changed her  name (Elizabeth Tanner would be close but untraceable) or lived with a man she did not marry.
I did discover through a PM from a Rootschatter, that her father was imprisoned for assault in 1863, having attacked both her mother, and Clara who tried to defend her, in an argument over money.
Her father then left the family and was imprisoned again in 1869, this time for bigamy.
Meanwhile her mother married again -at least twice -was tried for bigamy and acquitted. Freereg has both marriages. Husband number 2 died and the next marriage was 6 years later. However while both her forenames, her father's name and occupation are the same she has another surname ,so possibly married again in the interim, though I can find no record of it.
By 1873 her brothers have died and her younger sister has married. In short Clara might have been wise to clear off without a forwarding address!

Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex

Offline Schoch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 13 13:03 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to the prison records for Norfolk you might see that the name "Tann" crops up more than a few times (Ancestry). It is possible that she went through the courts herself and therefore absent from the various census.
The Tann name  certainly seems very prolific in that area.
Stay in the  Moment

Grainger - Wigton and Newcastle Area
Gibson - Newcastle/Scotland (Roxburgh) Areas
Crisell/Crissell/Chrysel/etc. - Suffolk Area
Schoch - Germany (Öhringen Area)

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 13 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hmm I see what you mean, I 've found 11 and it's not a common name. The only one from my tree is Hannah Maria who was acquitted. The John Tann convicted of larceny is too old. It can't be an exhaustive list because John Tann's 2 convictions do not appear, so I suppose it's possible that Clara was convicted of a crime as well.
Most of the Tanns, who were from Bawburgh and Old Buckenham, seem to have been fairly respectable. I'm hoping for one bad apple not a whole rotten tree!
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex