Author Topic: Luptons  (Read 4079 times)

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Luptons
« on: Wednesday 13 March 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the connection between William Lupton who appears on the 1901 & 1911 Census for Dublin but born Co Tipperary; and Henry Lupton who is on the 1901 & 1911 census for Cullaun, Timoney, Co Tipperary - William would be my husbands great grandfather and I have found a receipt for 1906 which relates to Henrys tenancy of a farm in Cullaun, from the ages on the census I reckon they were brothers but I can't find anything to confirm this - can anyone help?

Also, looking for date and location of marriage for William Lupton and Catherine Kenny - from info on census she was born in Kilkenny and they would have been married around 1897-8

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Luptons
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I presume this your Lupton family in 1911....

Lupton household, St. James's Ave

All their children born 'Dublin City', so I suspect the marriage probably took place in Dublin also...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I can see listings for the births (and some possible deaths) for children of this family on the BMD Index, but nothing promising for the marriage so far on the civil BMD Index, or the Dublin City parish records on IrishGenealogy.

It's possible the surname was recorded as a variation - maybe Lipton ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Henry is a little easier to follow, as his marriage references show up on the BMD Index - as follows :

Name: Henry Lupton
  Event type: Marriage
  Qtr/Year : Oct - Dec 1898
  Registration district: Roscrea
  Volume No. : 3 / Page: 391

Several Marys appear on the same register page, but Mary Anne Downes seems the best possibility as his bride. A cert would give further details, such as father's names etc, which could help confirm, or rule out a link when you find more details on William..

See : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Marriage Cert

1911 Census for reference : Lupton household, Cullaun townland
My Surname Interests

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 16:29 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the help with this - I thought that Henrys marriage cert might be the best option too.
I've checked under Lipton/Lepton/Lapton and also Upton but can find nothing.  I also double checked with family that maiden name was Kenny and that they married in Ireland - it is of course also possible that they never married...
thanks again

Offline bill lupton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 April 13 12:30 BST (UK) »
Henry Lupton married to Mary Ann Downes both died in 1937? and are buried in the old graveyard in
Timoney near Cullaun.
Henrys father was William who was married to Catherine Ringwood who are also buried in the same grave.
Headstone white marble erected by Williams son  Joseph who went to the USA
The Lupton gathering will take place on the 27th July   .
If the William you refer to is the 3rd son then you are on the right track

Offline bill lupton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 April 13 13:31 BST (UK) »
thanks for the help with this - I thought that Henrys marriage cert might be the best option too.
I've checked under Lipton/Lepton/Lapton and also Upton but can find nothing.  I also double checked with family that maiden name was Kenny and that they married in Ireland - it is of course also possible that they never married...
thanks again
I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the connection between William Lupton who appears on the 1901 & 1911 Census for Dublin but born Co Tipperary; and Henry Lupton who is on the 1901 & 1911 census for Cullaun, Timoney, Co Tipperary - William would be my husbands great grandfather and I have found a receipt for 1906 which relates to Henrys tenancy of a farm in Cullaun, from the ages on the census I reckon they were brothers but I can't find anything to confirm this - can anyone help?

Also, looking for date and location of marriage for William Lupton and Catherine Kenny - from info on census she was born in Kilkenny and they would have been married around 1897-8

Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Offline bill lupton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 April 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
If William born 1900/1901 was employed in the prison service ,then I think you will find  that Henry in Cullaun was his uncle

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 October 19 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I was browsing another site today and saw one of my ancestors had their death registered by a John Lupton. The little grey cells woke up...………….
Your post from some time ago.
Henry's son is William born 1900.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Timoney/Cullaun/1703154/
you also mention Downes……….a lady by that name is on the Census.
The area Annagh also has a Henry and they both have William's.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Riverstown/Annagh/1690364/
This site......is free and you will get more info.
https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Maggsie