Author Topic: 1841 census somerset  (Read 1640 times)

Offline josie gowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census somerset
« on: Monday 06 June 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
i am looking for harriet grant 1792/1793 amelia grant 1828/1829
butleigh somerset  .any help would be fantastic thanks josie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census somerset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie

I had a careful look through the 1841 census for Butleigh and couldn't find any Grants at all  :(

There was just one family of Grants in Butleigh Wootton , reference HO107/964/4 Folio 3 Page 3

Joseph Grant M 55 Carpenter
Sarah Grant F 50
Joseph Grant M 15
Elizabeth Grant F 15
Emma Grant F 14
Eliza Grant F 12
William Grant M 10
Isabella Grant F 5

Did you find Harriet and Amelia in 1851? Is there anywhere else I could look?

Regards

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline josie gowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 13:01 BST (UK) »
thanks angela for your time i did find them in 1851 it was just harriet widow amelia and albert merrick grandson 6 i dont know who he is i think maybe harriet was in glastonbury but am not sure thanks anyway josie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie,

Based on your 1851 information, I looked them up again in 1851, found their neighbours and then went back to 1841 and found them ;D

They weren' very easy to read, but their neighbours were!

The reference is HO107/964/3 Folio 7 Page 6 and the address is just given as Butleigh. The only people in the household are -
Harriet Grant F 45
Amelia Grant F 10

In the 1841 census ages tended to be rounded down to the multiple of 5 below the actual age.

Hope this helps

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline josie gowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 16:56 BST (UK) »
hi angela thanks so much for your trouble i was really hoping for amelia dad to be there but he must have died when she was very small.i am at  a dead end i have amelia,s marriage cert but her father is not named on it only deaseaed so i do not know where to go now ,cant find harriet maiden name .any ideas josie

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Josie

I'm not surprised you're frustrated - the father is usually named even if he is dead, but you can guarantee he won't be named if it's really important to find out!
I've got one in my tree like that and I'm not doing at all well finding him  :(

I think your best bet is to find Amelia's baptism record and really hope that the family was Church of England  ;D  According to the Somerset record office, they have the registers for Butleigh. I haven't been able to find any record of them on-line, and they aren't in the BVRI either but perhaps someone else in Rootschat has access to the Parish records. It's probably worth posting another request for Amelia's baptism on this site. At some point I'm going to have to go to Somerset Record Office myself, but it won't be until next month at the earliest.

Sorry I can't help more but there are some other very knowledgable people on the site who may do better  :)

Good luck

Angela

Offline josie gowen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 18:26 BST (UK) »
thanks again angela i have no chance of going to the records office myself as i live in norwich dont hink i would be able to make it there and back in a day will try for a posting  josie

Offline Jane Trotman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 June 05 00:31 BST (UK) »
i am looking for harriet grant 1792/1793 amelia grant 1828/1829
butleigh somerset  .any help would be fantastic thanks josie

Offline Butleighman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 21:39 BST (UK) »
You'll find Hannah (not Harriet) and Amelia Grant as No. 13 of the Grants on my website www.butleigh.org