Author Topic: Catherine WALSH born Bathurst, 1878, left her family for Sydney with no contact  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Poppies2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi there
I am searching for a Catherine Walsh, who was my 2nd great aunt. She was born in Bathurst in 1878 to Patrick (1852-1931, born in Penrith) and Margaret (1853-1928, born at Pyrmont). They had 8 other children all born in the Bathurst area and owned the Knickerbocker Hotel). My great aunt wrote some information out about this family and says that Catherine called herself Kate and left her family for the city (Sydney) only to have been spotted once by another family member. It seems she fled her family and cut all ties. I would love to know what became of her but of course it's such a common name I'm having trouble coming up with any thing that may be linked to Catherine/Kate). I would love if anyone had any ideas as to how I could potentially find out about Kate Walsh. Her parents eventually moved back to the coast, residing in the Illawarra area. They lived in Woonona (ran a mixed business), Berry, and then Thirroul. Thanks!!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Hi there,

Do you have a copy of Catherine’s birth cert?  I cannot find it indexed at NSW BDM online.   I can see other children for Patrick and Margaret registered as Bathurst district, but not Catherine.   

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I have several offline resources specifically about Ultimo-Pyrmont for 19th and early 20thC.   I wonder if Catherine/Kate returned to her mother’s birthplace, and perhaps if I look for her mother’s family I may find your Catherine.  May I please have Margaret's nee name.... ;D

NSW Electoral Roll BATHURST 1878
WALSH:
William, Piper St, household
Michael, Kepple St , residence
Patrick, Durham st, household
John, George St, residence
Michael, William St, residence
Thomas, George St, residence
Thomas, Seymour St, household
James, Havannah St, household
WELSH Michael, freehold, Lambert St

GREVILLES PO Dir 1875 BATHURST
Charles WELCH, photographer, George St
Patrick WALSH, drover, Piper St
William WALSH, carpenter, Kepple St

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Poppies2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi JM,
Thanks for the reply. It's actually listed under 'Welsh' in the BMD. I worked this out when I received the mother, Margaret nee McCormack's death transcript. The children's names were listed on there and and there was a Kate and Sarah Ann on there but they weren't on the BMD. I have noticed there have been a lot of misspelled names from this family on BMD and starting thinking they weren't the best spellers  ::) . So I did a few alternatives to Walsh and found them.
Kate and Sarah's ages were on the transcript and also written in the info from my great aunt. So anyway, Margaret's maiden name was McCormack. A lot of the family had moved the Illawarra area by about the 1900s. The mixed business that Patrick and Margaret had was located in the main street of Woonona and they lived in Russell St. Margaret's death transcript says she died at Lidcombe. She dies from senility and I couldn't work out why she would have been up there with the husband down here. I know Rookwood Asylum was in Lidcombe though, so maybe she was a patient there. Hope some of that helps  :)
 :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
 :) Do you have a copy of Catherine's birth cert, (or official transcript) listing older siblings for her, and the details of her parents marriage and other confirming info, or are you relying on the index to confirm that's your lass?

Cheers,  JM

Offline Poppies2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
:) Do you have a copy of Catherine's birth cert, (or official transcript) listing older siblings for her, and the details of her parents marriage and other confirming info, or are you relying on the index to confirm that's your lass?

Cheers,  JM

No official certificate for anyone except for the mum, Margaret. Sorry, modified my other post while you were posting too!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Also,  I seem to have mis-placed the Knickerbocker Hotel, Bathurst for all of the 19th Century  :'( could you please confirm that name...

I am searching for a Catherine Walsh, who was my 2nd great aunt. She was born in Bathurst in 1878 to Patrick (1852-1931, born in Penrith) and Margaret (1853-1928, born at Pyrmont). They had 8 other children all born in the Bathurst area and owned the Knickerbocker Hotel).

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re Margaret's d.c  ... May I ask some questions please?

:)  who was the informant?  whould you expect their information to be accurate and reliable? :)
 :)  does it indicate any of Margaret's children preceded her?
 :)  have you searched for a headstone ?  which cemetery and denomination mentioned on the dc

Cheers,  JM

Offline Poppies2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re Margaret's d.c  ... May I ask some questions please?

:)  who was the informant?  whould you expect their information to be accurate and reliable? :)
 :)  does it indicate any of Margaret's children preceded her?
 :)  have you searched for a headstone ?  which cemetery and denomination mentioned on the dc

Cheers,  JM

Here is the link to the hotel http://www.knickerbockerhotel.com.au/ My Nana and a great Aunt (both still living and 'on the ball') confirmed this one for me. The informant on the certificate was Annie Morgan her daughter that was Sarah Anne (nana confirmed this name change also). Annie was living at Woonona at the time. Their were two children who preceded her, Bridget and Patrick. Patrick died young-ish from heatstroke and Bridget, according to my Nana, had a mental illness (most likely depression) after two daughters died in infancy. It was assumed she committed suicide. There is a headstone for Margaret at Bulli Cemetery. Her grandson's name is on the headstone too. He was the son of Patrick (the one who died from heatstroke), and he died of heatstroke too, at 14. Hope that helps :)