Author Topic: Looking for a death; surname Graham  (Read 1392 times)

Offline McBiko

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a death; surname Graham
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I have drawn a blank on searching for the death of my G Grandmother; Helena Graham and wondering if anyone has any ideas of how or where I should look. I have searched the death records on Ancestry, FindMyPast, Family Search, Roots Ancestry and the burial records for Belfast City Council; her husband is buried in Dundonald cemetery.

What I know is she was alive in 1929 age was 66 living at Birkenhead, England, and sometime May 1929 onwards, I was told she returned to Belfast.

Facts I know
Born Helena Lyske 1863 Edenderry, Co Armagh, Ireland
Married 1 Jun 1885 to Robert Graham, Co Armagh, Ireland, Robert Graham dies 1st March 1928 and is buried at Dundonald cemetery. His address on the death certificate in 1928 was 3 Coburg St.

Thanks

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a death; surname Graham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Northern Ireland death records from 1.1.1922 onwards are not on-line anywhere. You need to contact GRONI, who keep them:

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro
Elwyn

Offline McBiko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 March 13 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I presumed they were online.

Looked at GRONI, does anyone know how fexible they are? It says they will search 2 years either side of date specified which unfortunately I don't know.

Offline maggieblue

• RootsChat Member
  • Work hard, play hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I presumed they were online.

Looked at GRONI, does anyone know how fexible they are? It says they will search 2 years either side of date specified which unfortunately I don't know.

Hi

It states on their application form for certificates if it likely to be too time consuming they will not undertake the task  :(

GRONI are currently digitising their records and will be available at some point in '2013' online, pay to view.

Maggieblue
Antrim/Ahoghill/Broughshane Co Antrim - LYTTLE, MEEKE, SWANN, CRAIG, WALLACE, NICHOLL
Maghergall/Derriaghy Lisburn area - SINCLAIR, MCFARLAND, BRAITHWAITE, MORROW, VINT, ELWOOD, MCNEICE, CLOSE, HARBINSON, TODD, MCWATTERS, MCPEAKE, COURTNEY, THOMPSON, BELSHAW,  LARMOUR, DUBORDIEUR, STEWART, WIGGINS
Canada - SINCLAIR
New Zealand - MEEKE
Co Armagh/America - STEENSON
Co Tyrone/Co Londonderry GAMBLE, MOON, LOVE, ROBINSON, LINDSAY, COULTER, WHITE, LYONS, MOOREHEAD, BAIRD, MCCREA, LESLIE.

Offline McBiko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maggieblue, I will wait until they are digitised as I reckon you are right about it being time consuming, I just don't have enough info to narrow it down.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The digitized records won’t be on-line until October and then they will only cover deaths to 1963.

You could try ringing GRONI and sweet talking them into helping you. I have found the staff to be very helpful.

Helena Graham does not look to be a common name in NI. (I can only see 1 birth and 1 marriage in NI since 1845 in the civil indexes to 1922. I’d be surprised if there was more than one or two deaths with that name in their records). With a likely place of death, birth year c 1863 and death dates of say 1929 to 1959, it’s fairly easy for them to search for it. (I have used the public terminals there myself on many occasions in the past. You have to search in batches of 10 years. It would take about 45 seconds to do that complete search). Ask them if they can help you. If they find it, you can pay over the phone by credit or debit card.
Elwyn

Offline McBiko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn, thanks will have a try ringing GRONI and see if they can help  :)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Let me know either way. If they can't help, I'll look for you next time I am in GRONI.
Elwyn

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it before, a gravestone picture with the headstone recording the deaths of Robert and Helena's sons, can be viewed on post #19 at:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=153894
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .